The municipality of Lebrija is situated at the southern end of the province of Seville, being bordered with Cadiz. It is within the lands of La Campina and in the marshes of Bajo (Lower) Guadalquivir. In 1996 it had a population of 23,833 inhabitants, most of whom resided in the village. Among the remaining villages in the municipality are Encinilla, Las Arenas and Rabanillo.
Of the foundation of Lebrija there are several theories: Strabo speaks of the “turdetana city of Nebrusa”, for others it was of Phoenician origin under the name of Lepriptza, the legend attributed a mythical origin, it is believed to have been founded by Bacchus who gave it the name of Nebrissa.
The first settlements date back to prehistoric times, and remains of the Chalcolithic period have been found.
With the Romans it was a port on lake Ligustinus and was called Veneria. It became a municipality under Roman law and coined its own currency.
During the period of Al-Andalus it was called Lebrisah. The Wali of Medina Sidonia, Mohamed Ben Seleyman almost completely rebuilt it.
The Christian conquest was carried out by Fernando III in 1249 although it fell back into the hands of the Arabs but in 1264 it was to be reconquered by Alfonso X in 1340 and was to be subject to further harassment by the Marinids without being conquered.
During the sixteenth, seventeenth and eighteenth centuries Lebrija experienced a boom by exploiting agricultural resources.
In Lebrija was born Elio Antonio de Nebrija, chronicler of the Catholic Monarchs and author of La Primera Gramatica Castellana and also Juan Diaz de Solis who discovered the Rio de la Plata.
Santa Maria de la Oliva Church
Santa Maria de Jesus Parish
Convent of Las Madres Concepcionistas
Shrine of Nuestra Señora del Castillo
San Francisco Convent
Chapel of la Vera-Cruz
Chapel of La Santisima Trinidad
Chapel of Belen
Chapel of San Benito
Cilla del Cabildo Eclesiastico
Old Cabildo and Cilla Municipal
Santa Maria la Piedad Hospital
Asilo de San Andres (Retirement Home)
Hospital of La Caridad
Out of Seville, take: E-5 / N-IV, through Bellavista, take: E-5 / N-IV. Travesia de Dos Hermanas and take the exit for Cadiz-Jerez. Take: E-5 / A-4, take: E-5 / AP-4 towards Cadiz. Pass near Los Palacios and Villafranca. Pass near las Cabezas de San Juan and take the exit 44-Las Cabezas – Lebrija. Take: A-471 to Lebrija.
Distances from the town
Cádiz 64 km
Espera 31 km
Utrera 47 km
Sevilla 63 km
Villamartin 48 km
Los Palacios y Villafranca 37 km