Andalucia Rustica

Search More

Villages in Jaen

Lopera

Villages in Jaen

Lopera, Campiña Baja & Valle de Andújar

Lopera is a town located to the west of the province, in the boundary with Córdoba, between cereal lands, herbaceous and extensive olive groves. It has an important Parish Church.

The municipality limits with Marmolejo, Montoro, Porcuna, Arjona, Cañete de las Torres, Bujalance y Villa del Río.

The town of Lopera preserves a deep historic roots and a long future along the centuries, since the first information about its existence go back to the Bronze Age because there were found remains in the country estates of Almazán, Lanzarino I and Cuatro Hermanas. From the Iberian Age we can observe in the municipal district seven sites that show, together with the numerous coins found, the presence of Iberians in all the area, a fact that it is hardly surprising due to the nearness of the Roman city Obulco (Porcuna).

There are sites during the Roman Age in several areas of the municipal district. However, Lopera was a second order place in the Roman local government. Its name in this time was POLESI and was part or was administratively dependent of Obulco (Porcuna). The best studies site is the one of the Roman-Visigoth town of “Morrones” that had a Visigoth basilica and was close in the boundary of Cañete de las Torres. There were two Roman routes that crossed the town of Lopera, one to the north and another to the south next to Obulco. The present town would come up around the VIII and IX centuries A.C with the settlement of the Visigoth or Moslem town in one of the sides of Cerro de San Cristóbal. In 1240 Lopera was conquered by Fernando III “El Santo”, who took the town to the Moslems.

Lopera was under the jurisdiction of La Orden de Calatrava until the XVI century and for all this time went through Lopera several commanders, who take up their residence in the castle. About the middle of the XVI century Juan Pacheco y Torres was the commander in Lopera, he was Marina Fernández de Torres’ son, of whom we can observe a tomb in the high altar of the Parish Church Purísima Concepción.

During all this time Lopera depended on the Martos y Porcuna’s command, until in 1595 the Spanish King Felipe II decided to declare it an independent town.

In XIX century it is carried out the disentailment of the Goths belonged to the church, that were acquired by the bourgeois who increased their patrimony and dominion over the rest of the town. Among these people we have to mention Alonso de Valenzuela, Member of Parliament to Cortes in 1854 and mayor of Lopera between 1870 and 1874, who in 1856 acquired the castle.

A typical image in the first third of the XX century was the unemployed labourers in the main square of the town expecting they were hired by the foreman. These years were characterized by an increase of the social conflicts and the constant labour claim. In 1925 with the dictatorship of Primo de Rivera it starts the construction of the Grupos Escolares, and whose achievement was thanks to the mayor and Martín Valcarcel’s initiative.

During the republican period (1931-1936) appears the publication of the independent newspaper called “Ecos Loperanos”, whose editor was the farmer Antonio Bellido Verdejo. (With regard to the period of the civil war consult the specific section that is about this theme).

Lopera Monuments

Lopera Castle

Parish Church (late gothic, baroque altarpiece, María Fernández’s tomb).

Town Planning

Peculiar city centre.

Lopera Gastronomy

Lopera has many outstanding characteristics in its gastronomy. Some of them are little distinguished in the region, like the oil and food, other, however, like wine, le lend it character and personality to our town.

Stew of plums and dried peaches. Ham and hen meatballs. Encebollado of anchovies. Fried beans. Chicken in the aldeana style. Melons. Watermelons.

Sweets: Hojaldrinas. Huesos de santo (filled roll of marzipan). Cider small pies. Wine bread rolls. Bread rolls with white coating (covered with egg white, icing sugar and lemon juice).

How to get there

If you exit from Córdoba take the road E-5 / A-4 towards Madrid. Pass near the towns of San Antonio, Montoro and Villa del Río. Take the exit 346 and follow the directions, to 6 kilometres we get Lopera.

If you exit from Jaén continue the Road of Córdoba then turn right in the Motorway A-316 and pass near Torre del Campo. Take the exit towards Torredonjimeno – Córdoba. In the area round Torredonjimeno, you have to take the Motorway A-306 towards: Córdoba. Alleyway of Porcuna. Continue in the Motorway A-6175 until you get Lopera.

Distances from Lopera

Jaén 54 km
Arjona 16 km
Andujar 21 km
Porcuna 11 km
Morente 25 km
Córdoba 62 km
Montoro 22 km
Villa del Río 9 km
Cañete de las Torres


0 comentarios

Leave A Comment