Mairena del Aljarafe
Mairena del Aljarafe
The municipality of Mairena del Aljarafe is situated to the southwest of the capital Seville, in the heart of the comarca (region) of Aljarafe. Mairena limits with Bollullos de la Mitación, Bormujos, Tomares, San Juan de Aznalfarache, Gelves y Palomares del Río.
Its municipal area is occupied by numerous newly built residential developments such as Ciudad Aljarafe, Simon Verde, Cavaleri, El Marquis and others.
Although Mairena del Aljarafe originated in Islamic times, discoveries in the remains of Roman villas have been found in the area, mainly engaged in agricultural work, which show that the wealth and fertility of the lands had been exploited since antiquity. In fact, the area was known as the ‘Garden of Hercules’ because of its high fertility.
During the Muslim period it was an alqueria or small village, and from these times came the current toponym: Mairena derives from ‘Maharana’ meaning ‘Herd of Shepherds’.
In the middle of the thirteenth century, Fernando III, El Santo, conquered the region, producing a continuation of the old land deal, after which the old village and its surroundings were changed from solely agricultural use also to be used for the cultivation of olives.
Until the seventeenth century Mairena del Aljarafe was under the jurisdiction of Palomares, prompting several disputes between residents of both villages. This problem persisted until the nineteenth century, especially since the number of inhabitants of Mairena surpassed that of Palomares. Thus, a committee met to request the granting from the Crown, in exchange for a donation of 1,500 ducats, of the title of “villazgo”(the charter of a town). Soon after, in 1840, the council of Mairena acquired some new rights, and Mairena became independent with its own Ayuntamiento (City Hall).
The origin of Mairena del Aljarafe, it is said, is, as in most of the villages of Aljarafe, likely to have been in one of the various villas or recreation centres of the Roman era.
The earliest known history of Mairena has been closely linked to the region of Aljarafe, as a place of its own entity in 1639, when it was separated from Palomares and given the name of Mairenilla. On that date, King Felipe IV sold the brand new Mairena to Count-Duke of Olivares.
Mairena del Aljarafe was inhabited during the Neolithic period, and settlements on farms and rustic villas were dominated by its proximity to the administrative and commercial centres of the Híspalic, Roman and Italic eras. These villages were under Muslim rule and later, after the “Reconquista” became Haciendas (Iberian villages or small towns). From the Muslim period the second part of the name, ‘Aljarafe’ has been taken, meaning roof, elevation, height or “to discover something from a high place,” for example, the beautiful views that dominate the area.
After the reconquest of Seville, Aljarafe was divided among the knights of lineage; Mairena belonged to the domain of royalty until in 1639 it was sold to Gaspar de Guzman, Count-Duke of Olivares. After his death, the village was the subject of much litigation among the chief beneficiaries, the princes of Astillano. Subsequently, the title passed to the House of Alba.
During the eighteenth century, religious communities were the major power in the”aljarafeños” villages. It was to be in century that the construction of the parish church took place.
In the nineteenth century, there was significantly larger number of rural labourers, and at that time, the village came to be known as the Taconera Mairenilla, to differentiate it from Mairena del Alcor, in the same province.
In the twentieth century, the most significant trend was the continued growth of the population, which had most notably increased since 1960. This growth must be put in relation to the creation of developments within the municipality. So, it was this circumstance which caused Mairena Del Aljarafe to largely lose its rural character and to change to a small town that was growing at a rapid pace.
Mairena del Aljarafe Monuments
Parish Church of San Ildefonso: neoclassical, since the early thirteenth century; it was destroyed by an earthquake in 1755. It has an altarpiece venerating an image of Our Lady of Mercy and St. Anthony of Padua. In other altarpieces are the Virgin of the Rosary, Santo Domingo and Santa Rosa de Lima. In addition to these images of worship, there is a relief altarpiece depicting the imposition of the “chasuble” on Saint Ildefonso.
Casa de la Virreina
Hacienda del Santo Cristo de la Mata
Hacienda El Jardin
Hacienda Los Rosales
Hacienda Los Bejaranos
Hacienda Don Juan
Hacienda La Prusiana
Out of Seville. Take: E-803 / A-66 / IS-30 . Follow signs to Coria del Río E-1, E-49-Huelva-Merida. Around Camas , take: A-3122 towards: Exit 15A San Juan de Aznalfarache (Alta) – Mairena del Aljarafe-Coria del Río. Passing Aznalfarache, take the direction to San Juan de Mairena del Aljarafe.
Distances from Mairena del Aljarafe
Sevilla 10 km
Gelves 5.5 km
Tomares 5 km
Almensilla 7 km
Palomares Rio 3 km
Sanlucar la Mayor 16 km
Bollullos de la Mitación 9 km