Málaga – Cathedral de la Encarnación
Málaga Cathedral is located in C/ Molina Lario 9, next to the Obispo Palace (Bishop´s) and the Zea Salvatierra Palace.
The construction of the Málaga Cathedral was started in the first half of the 16th century and was continued throughout the 17th and 18th century. This long period of construction has resulted in a mixture of styles from gothic, the reanissance development and, finally, included baroque elements. The work was never completed. The main facade is missing its finish an the south tower. This has giving the temple a special look which has led to the popular name, “La Manquita”, the “One-armed Lady”.
The interior of the cathedral includes choir sculptures. It has 42 sculptures created by Pedro de Mena and two typical 18th century organs. The Museo Catedralicio (Cathedral Museum) is housed inside.
The Del Obispo (Bishop´s) square is in the same quintessential baroque urban area of Málaga. It has been one of the most important squares of the city throughout history. The Palacio del Obispo (Bishop´s Palace) is located here, the construction of which started in 1762.
The square centre is occupied by a stone fountain, and anonymous 18th century work, built at the time the Palace was built.