Málaga – Parish Church of San Juan Bautista
Parish Church of San Juan Bautista – Málaga
The Parish Church is located in C/ San Juan 3 (street), few minutes from the Cathedral de la Encarnación.
Church of Saint John The Baptist
The origins of the Parish Church of San Juan Bautista (Sanint John the Baptist) goes back to the conquest of the city by the Catholic Monarchs (also known as the Catholic Kings) in 1487. San Juan was one of the four parish churches (together with Santiago, Mártires and Sagrario) in which the city was divided after the Christian conquest. Nevertheless, the current aspect of the building and the writings on the facade are due to the various interventions that occurred in the 18th century. This parish church, in fact, was the object of many significant remodelling interventions due to, for example, the earthquake of 1680. Viewed from this perspective, we can understand the paintings of 1732 and its pictorial programme that has a geometric character.
This building had been totally whitewashed until the intervention of 1999 when the geometric design visible in some parts of this building were recovered. It was at this time tha the painting was salvaged and its exact realisation date: 1732, as shown by the sign painted at the top of the roof.