Marbella – Church of Our Lady of the Incarnation
Church of Our Lady of the Incarnation
The Church of Our Lady of the Incarnation is located at the Plaza de la Iglesia (Iglesia Square), in the Marbella monumental center, next to Marbella Castle and near the Misericordia Chapel, Santo Sepulcro Chapel, Santiago Chapel and Santo Cristo Chapel.
Apparently there was a “first” Church of the Incarnation in Marbella. As for the present one, its works began in 1618, as it prays in a inscription in commemorative gravestone. The flooring of the temple was contracted in 1720. The carpenters Pedro del Castillo and Salvador Gálvez, along with stonemason José Gómez worked in the church in 1756.
On July 16, 1767, the enthronement of the Blessed Sacrament took place in the “new church” of the Incarnation. In thouse then was King of Spain SM Carlos III and bishop of Malaga the Iltmo. Mr. D. Franquis Laso de Castilla.
The Church of Our Lady of the Incarnation of Marbella stands out for its size and the height of its ships and the central dome, producing a sense of grandeur.
In 1955 the church is visited by the bishop of the diocese D. Angel Herrera Oria. According to the Catastro de la Ensenada, in 1752 were attached to it 19 bresbyters, 2 deacons and 7 minors orders.
The Church of the Incarnation initially had three entrances, the two that it preserves to this day (west or main and north), and a third, to the south, in the C/ Misericordia (street) that was closed in the XIX century, and in whose space was installed the Sagrario Chapel.
Of refined rococo taste is the ocher stone front the main entrance by C/ Caridad (street), work of the second half of the XVII century.
The canopy of the main door was built in 1838 and the north door in 1902.
The Incarnation Church had two choirs, the existing high today with organ and the bass that was suppressed in 1902.
The tower of Our Lady of the Incarnation Church is approximately 33 meters high. The bell tower consists of four bodies, and the crown is a pyramidal spire covered with tiles, with an iron angel at the pinnacle representing the Faith.
Of its bells, the oldest one is the one of the east side, made in London in 1804. It is also very old one located in the north face (Santísima Trinidad). The bell of San Bernabe, located in the west face was fused in 1924. In 1953 another bell of the west side was fused, being Vicario-Arcipreste D. Rodrigo Bocanegra Perez. It was given the name of “Our Lady of Fatima”.
Of more recent dates are the bells “Virgen del Carmen” located in the north side and the “Virgin of the Incarnation” located in the south side, fused in 1984.
The clock of the church was placed in 1813, once finished the War of the Independence, was bought by the city council. In 1942 the city council replaced this one with one of Spanish manufactured.
The Church of Our Lady of the Incarnation has several important altars and chapels, such as the Chapel of the Immaculate Conception, the Altar of Chirst of Peace, the ancient of Animas and San Isidro; the Nazarene Jesus Chapel, the Altar of the Virgin Pilar, the Altar Mayor and the Virgen de Fátima Chapel.
The Church of Our Lady of the Incarnation has three naves separated by semicircular arches that fall on cruciform pillars, covering the central and the arms of the cruiser with vaults of cannon with lunetos and fajones.