Marbella – Trapiche de Guadaiza
Trapiche de Guadaiza – San Pedro de Alcántara
The Trapiche de Guadaiza (Old Sugar Mill) is located in San Pedro de Alcántara, Marbella.
Sugarcane, Sacharum officianarum, is a Middle Easterm plant, introduced during the Muslim period in Mediterranean Andalusia, the only place in Europe where the climate is appropiate for its growth. Thus, in the region of the western Costa del Sol its cultivation was developed, first ground in presses or mills driven by water or animals and subsequently by steam machines as of the mid-19th century.
El Trapiche de Guadaiza is a sugar manufacturing mill, mill or press, owned by Juan Bautista lesseps, and wich operated at least from 1823 to 1831, therefore prior to San Pedro Alcantara´s own colony, founded in 1860, and which would open a moderm sugar factory in 1871. The power that moved the machinery in the mill was the water from an aqueduct of wich one can still see some arches, both outside and inside the building.
In the 1860´s the Marques del Duero made an agreement with the Ministry of Public Works and the Malaga Provincial Diputation to establish a model farm or school for agricultural foremen in the old mill. It had limited success, but reforms carried out to the building made it so that it could last until today.
Recently, re-modelled again at the request of the people of San Pedro Alcántara, this relevant sample of pre-industrial heritage remains preserved.
Today is is the Trapiche de Guadaiza Cultural Center.