The Mojácar Fountain is located at the foot of the hill where this city is located, the nerve center around which the different cultures that populated this territory from ancient times settled.
The Mojácar Fountain was built in 1876 by the mayor of Mojácar, Mr. José Yribarne de los Ríos, with the placement of the tombstone that tells the legend of the encounter in the fountain between Garcilaso, sent by the Catholic Monarchs and Alavez, the last mayor Moor, for the delivery of the city.
A typical characteristic of the Mojácar Fountain is that the water comes out at room temperature, from the very bowels of the rock, that is, in summer it comes out cool and in winter it comes out warm.
The water is used to supply the population and the surplus for irrigating the orchards of Mojácar, a rich land that produced enough food to supply the population.
Irrigation is carried out following the Arab tradition, with ditches and ponds, in strict turn, from top to bottom. In 1494, six years after the capture of Mojácar by the Catholic Monarchs, Don Diego López de Haro began the distribution of the waters by order of their Majesties the Kings.
Search in Villages
Alquiler de coches en Málaga
- Código ANR23 - 5% Descuento
- Reserva sin tarjeta de crédito
- Servicio de alquler de coches 24/7
- Traslado gratuito aeropuerto ⇄ oficina
- Pago al llegar
- Vehículos nuevos
- Sin extras ocultos
- Ofertas exclusivas en mostrador