Montejícar, Montes Orientales de Granada Region
Montejícar lies in the foothills of the Sierra de Lucena, which are a natural boundary of the province of Granada with that of Jaén, together with the banks of the river Guadahortuna. The municipality limits with Huelma, Domingo Pérez de Granada, Guadahortuna and Cambil.
The name of Montejicar comes from the Arabic Shica (Hisn Monte Xaquer, from the Latin Mons Sacer, the castle of Monte Sagrado). During the Arabic Andalusian period it was an important military enclave.
The town was conquered by the Catholic Monarchs in 1486, who expelled its Moorish population in the sixteenth century, it was later repopulated by 49 settlers from land of Castilla. During the reign of Charles V there began a process of population recovery and economic boom.
It is the most remote of the historic Seven Villas.
Virgen de la Cabeza Chapel
St. Andres Parish Church
Puente Romano (Roman road)
Typical Montejicar gourmet dishes are Migas,(a dish of meat with breadcrumbs) Las Gachas (a kind of porridge,) various sausages, rabbit in garlic, fried potatoes, baked potatoes, roast beef and partridges.
Leave Granada. At the roundabout, take exit 2. Continue along: E-902 / A-44 direction: Armilla – Motril. Pass near Maracena – Peligros and Albolote. Take the exit towards: Exit 89 – A-403 – Alcalá la Real – Benalúa de las Villas – Montejiacr – Domingo Perez
Dehesas Viejas. Pass Domingo Pérez . Arrive to the town.
Distances from Montejícar
Cambil 21 km
Huelma 14 km
Arbuniel 12 km
Granada 59 km
Cotilfar Baja 12 km
El Navazuelos 15 km
Villacampa del Moral 22 km
Belmez de la Moraleda 32 km