Montilla is situated to the south of the province of Cordoba (Andalucia, Spain) in the heart of the countryside along the edge of the main roads: the A-45 (Autovia de Malaga), N-331 Cordoba-Malaga, the A -309(N-IV/N-331) and the railway line Madrid – Cadiz.
Located less than 90 minutes from the main provincial capital cities and airports in Andalucia, it is an almost obligatory stop on the routes linking the Mediterranean coast of Andalucia. It is the birthplace of el Gran Capitan , San Francisco Solano and the homeland of Inca Garcilaso de la Vega or San Juan de Avila, whose remains are preserved in la Iglesia de la Encarnacion (Church of the Incarnation).
There are various interpretations of its toponym: in the eighteenth century it was attributed to the contraction of “monte villa”, other students attributed it to Monte Ulía or Montiella (from the Arabic Mondelia) and probably from la Montilyana in los Anales Palatinos de Alhakan II quoted on the journey between Atana and Wacita Milihah (Cabra).
It is now thought that the name has clear Castilian roots as it first appears in la Cronica de Alfonso XI (1333) and the Book of hunting of this monarch, and in various documents of the second half of the fourteenth century, as Montiella.
The Roman influx is evidenced by numerous discoveries, among which is the torso of Diana found in the Casilla de la Lampara, along with other sculptural fragments, and some construction debris and bricks with inscriptions, which give the impression of a villa. Similarly in the fields are some public works such as paved roads framed and edged by curbs.
Of the Muslim period few traces remain, having been reconquered by Ferdinand III in the thirteenth century, and dependant on the city of Cordoba.
In 1257 Alfonso el Sabio (Alphonso the Wise) ceded the lordship to Don Gonzalo Yanez Dominal. Pedro I in 1351 donated it to Don Alfonso Fernandez Coronel, who lost it in two years in favor of the Crown. Henrique II, in 1367, donated it to Gomez Carrillo; it then reverted to the monarch, and was granted in 1371 to Lope Gutiérrez, mayor of Cordoba, via primogeniture, who in 1375 gave it to Gonzalo Fernandez de Cordoba in exchange for various properties in Guadalcázar.
It was from the second third of the fourteenth century when the first news of the town and castle of Montilla were first published and it was from 1371 when they became independent from Aguilar. Montilla remained, from 1375, and for the rest of the era of the Late Middle Ages, held by Fernandez de Cordoba. Thus it is believed that Montilla was the birthplace of Gonzalo Fernandez de Cordoba, el Gran Capitan (the Great Captain).
Philip IV entitled it “Ciudad” in 1630. The government of Carlos III recognized the local offering as they sought the recovery of Gibraltar in 1779. This year, August 24, 1779, was founded in Montilla the first Economic Society of Friends of the province.
Between 1808 and 1811 it was occupied by Napoleonic troops.
(Church) of the old hospital of San Juan de Dios (1664)
Paseo de las Mercedes, with its monument to el Gran Capitan (Great Captain).
Town Hall of Montilla, nineteenth-century architecture.
College of the Salesians, 1889.
Casa de las Camachas, with its patios.
The Tercia, of the 20’s.
Torre de Santiago.
Barrio de La Escuchuela.
Santa Clara Arch.
Old Palace of Medina.
Paseo de Cervantes or Paseo de Abajo.
San Sebastian Parish Church (XIII).
Santiago Apostol Parish Church
Santa Clara Convent, with a plateresque doorway (XVI).
San Lorenzo Convent (s. XVI).
San Agustín Convent (XVI).
Santa Ana Convent (XVII).
Oratory of San Luis Obispo and San Ildefonso (XVII).
San Francisco Solano Church, built on his birthplace (XVII).
San Juan de Ávila Basilica
Convent-hospital of St. John of God (XVII).
Ermita de la Rosa.
Altar of the Chapel of San Juan Bautista (sixteenth century, Juan Castillejo).
Altarpiece of the Church of Santa Ana (XVII century, images of Pedro Roldán).
Altarpiece of the San Agustin Church (XVII century).
Altarpiece of the parish church of San Francisco Solano (eighteenth century, Lorenzo Gaspar de los Cobos).
Imagery of Christ tied to the column (seventeenth century, Juan de Mesa the Younger).
Imagery San Pedro de Alcantara (XVII, Pedro de Mena).
Imagery of Christ of Mercy (Parish of San Sebastian).
Altarpiece of the Good Shepherd (XVI century, Baltasar del Aguila).
Processional monstrance (casket or reliquary) of Santiago (nineteenth century, Manuel de Aguilar).
House where lived el Inca Garcilaso de la Vega.
Santa Clara Convent
Sagrado Corazón de Jesús
Oratory of San Luis
Santa Ana Church (17th century)
María Auxiliadora Church
Sagrado Descendimiento Chapel
San Agustín Church (16th century)
Trance Pajares (Lower and Middle Paleolithic).
Cerro Triguillos (Middle Paleolithic and Chalcolithic)).
Fuente del Pez/Fuente Migas (Mesolithic).
El Juncal (EarlyChalcolithic).
The Mill (Early Chalcolithic).
Wells (Chalcolithic plenary).
Canillo (Chalcolithic plenary).
Village in Santa Cruz.
Typical street: Puerta de Aguilar.
Calles Iglesia and Gran Capitan (Manor houses ).
Llano de Palacio.
Municipal Museum of Archaeology.
Salmorejo. Garlic gazpacho. Asparagus casserole. Montilla kidneys. Montillana artichokes. Meat marinades in wine. Veal. Stewed pig’s feet.
Sweets: Gachas de mosto.(A type of fritter)Arrope. Gachas de coscurrones. Alfajor.Rosco Pedro Ximenez. Polvorones.Chocolates. Curds. Delicado. Pastelon “angel hair”. Borrachuelos. Cangrejos (sweet egg yolk, fried, honey-colored and light).
Out of Cordoba. Take I-5 / A-4 direction: N-432, Granada – Seville . Follow directions: Exit 408 – Malaga. Continue: A-45. Passing near La Rambla. Take the exit towards: N-331. At the roundabout, take exit 1 Continue: N-331. Arrive at Montilla.
Rute 46 km
Cabra 26 km
Baena 37 km
Lucena 30 km
Cordoba 44 km
Zuheros 38 km
Santaella 24 km
Carcabuey 43 km
Dona Mencia 35 km
Priego de Cordoba 50 km
San Juan de Dios
Duques de Medinaceli Palace
San Juan de Ávila House
Casa de las Aguas (Museum Garnelo – Fundación Biblioteca Manuel Ruiz Luque – Archivo de Protocolos)
Santa Clara Arch
Purísima Concepción Square