Nerja – Nuestra Señora de las Angustias Hermitage
Nuestra Señora de las Angustias Hermitage
The Nuestra Señora de las Angustias Hermitage is located in the Plaza de la Ermita, in the Andalusian town of Nerja.
The hermitage was founded in 1720 by Mrs. Bernarda Maria Alferez, a member of the Lopez de Alcantara family from Granada. She was also the owner of the sugar factory “San Antonio Abad”. Income from the factory paid for the expense of its construction and subsequent maintenance. The patronage of this small sanctuary was the responsibility of the Lopez de Alcantara family during the 18th Century and a part of the 19th, until the Town Hall of Nerja took charge of it in 1853.
This building is made of masonry and brick and has one single nave with a semicylindrical dome with arches, a high chapel with a semi spherical dome with a cupola and niche where an image of Nuestra Sra de las Angustias (Our Lady of Anguish) is placed, the patron saint of Nerja. The entrance has a modern portico and a simple belfry.
There are wonderful murals painted in oils in the small dome, illustrating Whit sun; in the four triangles of the cupola the four evangelists. The pillars and the triumphal arch are painted with the Cardinal and Theological virtues, angles and spirals. After its recent study and restoration these works are attributed to a painter from the school of Granada and have been dated between 1730 and 1750.