Andalucia Rustica

Search More

Monuments in Málaga

Ojén – Nuestra Señora de la Encarnación Church

Monuments in Málaga

Ojén – Nuestra Señora de la Encarnación Church

Nuestra Señora de la Encarnación Church (Church of Our Lady of the Incarnation) is located at the Andalucia Square, next to the Chorros Fountain and just few minutes from the Mill Museum, in the town of Ojén.

Originally an Arabian mosque, it was rebuilt in 1505 as a church by order of the Archbishop of Sevilla, Don Diego de Deza. Its wooden coffered ceiling is of interest, as wella as its belfry (the former minaret from the mosque).

The minaret from the former Muslim mosque was conserved and modified to be used as the bell tower. The church of the Incarnation was built over the original building in the XVI century by order of Bishop Francisco Blanco Salcedo after the Moorish rebellion. At the beginning of the XVIII century, several reforms were made affecting the presbytery and side chapels.

The church has a single aisle with a wooden ceiling of rafters and trusses built of red pine towards the middle of the XVI century and decorated with cross-sections and star shapes. At the head of the presbytery we can see the image of Saint Dionisio of Areopagita, patron saint of the town, and a painting with the image of Our Lady of the Incarnation.

The façade, built in ashlar, and with a round arch opening, is crowned by a pointed roof with a forged iron cross; above the arch, the coat of arms of bishopric, which displays the Calatrave Cross and sloping lines, the emblem of the Bishop of Malaga, Fray Manuel de Santo Tomás. Next to this is a square Mudejar tower with a coffered structure and pyramidal roof, which is the bell tower.

Nuestra Señora de la Encarnación Church (Church of Our Lady of the Incarnation), Ojén


0 comentarios

Leave A Comment