Osuna – Public Market
Public Market – Old Convent of Saint Francisco – Osuna
16th century. The Convent of Saint Francisco was one of the first houses to be studied in the province. In 1943 this building tumbled down and its main altar was saved and it is nowadays preserved in the Church of San Buenaventura, in Seville.
In the 19th century, the Local Market was moved to the cloisters of the ancient Monastery of Franciscan friars, founded in 1531.
Later on, in 1551 it became one of the first Educational Institution in the province and one of the most important, due to the existence of the Ancient University of Osuna and the protection of the Dukes of Osuna. Finally, when the building collapsed in 1943, the main altarpiece was acquired by the Franciscans of San Buenaventura in Seville around 1945. Currently, the local market is located in this former Monastery, although only the cloisters are kept. The sculptures, belongings and brotherhoods of San Francisco can be found in the different churches of Osuna.