Palma del Rio
Palma del Rio
Palma del Rio is the last village in the province of Córdoba for its western part. It borders on Sevilla, the Andalusian capital, what makes it has much of the Sevillian art without losing the beauty and serenity of Córdoba. These qualities are seen in its people, its monuments, its history…
It is located in a privileged place in the left margin of the great river of Andalucía, the Guadalquivir, and seated on an old terrace of the Genil, causing their lands, bathed by two rivers, are fertile and produce the most precious treasure of Palma del Río: its agricultural products and the ultimate fruit, orange. The fields of Palma del Río form a forest of orange trees that shape a spectacular image, especially in spring, sprinkle the greenness of its trees with orange blossom that scented its fields, streets and avenues to the hidden place, and in harvest-time they brighten up the winter landscape with the brightness of fruit.
Palma del Rio is not just landscape, it is also history, art, culture … You can go for a walk through its streets and visit the Casco Antiguo where it is most of the monuments in the municipality, that demarcated by the Enclosure Wall, form an architectural-historic-artistic group of great importance that combines different eras and cultures.
Researchers believe that it had origin in a palace founded in 105 B.C. by the Roman Aulo Cornelio Palma, who gave it the name; others believe that he rebuilt it, consider it older. Some identify it with “Decuma”. San Eulogio (mid-ninth century) named it with the name of Palma. With Goths it belonged to the bishopric of Itálica. The town was conquered to the Muslims in 1231 by the Infante Don Alfonso, San Fernando’s brother, then Lord of Molina and definitely by Fernando III, mentioned by Juan de Mena in the “Laberinto de Fortuna”.
In 1342 the town pass to the noble system by donation by Alfonso XI to his admiral Egidio Bocanegra.
In 1483 a Muslim attack was repulsed by Luis Portocorrero, lord of Palma, on whose favour the county was erected in favour of his son Luis VIII, lord of the town in 1507. San Juan de Avila, dedicated to Count his “Audi Filia” (1556). Fray Luis de Granada is prior of the Dominican convent.
The name Río, which is known nowadays, was added to the original name after several centuries.
Palma del Rio Monuments
* Almohad Walls of Palma del Río, with its tower “aprendiz de la Giralda”.
* Parish Church of Nuestra Señora de la Asunción.
* Convent of Santa Clara, with its Baroque belfry (1509).
* Hospital of San Sebastián (XVI century).
* Convent of San Francisco (parish church, 1518).
* Convent of Santo Domingo (1503).
* Chapel of El Buen Suceso, with front trilobate arch from 1723.
* Chapel of Nuestra Señora de Belén and its “triunfo”.
* Altarpiece of the chapel of La Virgen del Rosario (XVIII century).
La Saetilla (found remains from the End Bronze until Roman settlements).
Cortijo del Judío and the necropolis of El Remolino (rural Roman environment).
Iron bridge designed by the brothers Darget, opened by Elizabeth II in 1862.
Arquito Quemado, next to the Almohad wall.
Typical tiled niches in Santa Clara street.
Stately houses in Cuerpo de Cristo and Gracia street.
Cloister of the Church of the Hospital de San Sebastián.
Palacio de los Portocarrero, with Renaissance balconies.
Archaeological Museum (located in the Casa de la Cultura).
Palma del Rio Gastronomy
Due to its geographical location, between environments so different, the gastronomy in Palma del Río is presented in the most varied forms. You can find plantings of asparagus, artichokes, carrots, lettuce and vegetables of all kinds; fruit trees like the orange like sign of quality, and the vast countryside with the partridge, pigeon and rabbit, make Palma del Río has a range of possibilities in the gourmet section. We can mention typical dishes like the gazpacho de habas secas, the stuffed loin, scrambled eggs with asparagus and for dessert, the meringues and the thousand dishes that can be made with orange as the protagonist.
How to get there
You have to exit Córdoba, take A-431. Alleyway Villarrubia. Pass near Almodóvar del Río, cross Posadas and continue: CO-9085 and follow the signs until you get Palma del Río.
Écija 30 km
Córdoba 56 km
Posadas 23 km
Peñaflor 9,5 km
Lora del Río 27 km
Constantina 46 km
Hornachuelos 18 km
Fuente Palmera 19 km
La Puebla de los Infantes 20 km