Palos de la Frontera
Palos de la Frontera
Palos de la Frontera is a town in the region of Tierra Llana, situated in front of the capital and on the banks of Rio Tinto, with farming lands devoted to the intensive cultivation of strawberries, fruit and vegetables. Some of its borders form part of the Natural Parks of las Lagunas de Palos and Las Madres.
Having a seafaring tradition, it became the cradle of Discovery when Columbus left from its port on his adventure and the Pinzón brothers, who accompanied him, were born here.
It has many interesting buildings such as the Monastery of La Rabida, an important centre for socio-cultural relations with Latin America, the Castle, the Casa de los Pinzón, the Parish of S.Jorge and Fontanilla, a curious Mudejar fountain protected by a temple.
Its name comes from the Latin, Palus, which means lake.
In the period of Al-Andalus it was part of the jurisdiction of Niebla, its inhabitants devoted to agricultural and livestock activities.
Between 1239 and 1240 the Christian conquest took place. The estate was donated in 1322 by Alfonso XI to Alfonso Carro and Berenguela Gómez.
Its participation in the events of the discovery of America was decisive. With the Pragmatics of the Catholic Kings the naval activities of the town reached their peak with the building of the three carabelas (Columbus’ 3 ships). They departed from the port on August 3, 1492. They returned on March 15, 1493 to this same port.
Martín Alonso Pinzón, sailor.
Vicente Yañez Pinzón, explorer.
Alonso de Cáceres, military.
José Luis Rosado, sculptor.
Loli Izquierdo Labrado, poet.
Palos de la Frontera Monuments
Church of San Jorge, fifteenth century. With Moorish remains. In this church Columbus heard mass before embarking on his historic trip in 1492.
Monastery of la Rabida. Columbus arrived at this monastery after several failed attempts to get various European kings to fund his expedition. From here the Prior interceded with Queen Isabel, getting her to listen to Colmbus’ proposal.
Remains of a castle of Muslim origin.
Beacon tower located near the outer port of Huelva.
José Celestino Mutis Botanical Gardens.
Monument to the Discoverers.
Mudejar Fountain. Declared a National Monument.
Built to replace the old wooden pier in 1892.
Museums in Palos de la Frontera
Museum / House of Martín Alonso Pinzón, the sixteenth century.
Reformed in the eighteenth century. It exhibits documents, reproductions of maps, ship models, portraits, and has a library and documentary dedicated to the Pinzon brothers and sailors who accompanied them.
Cuttlefish with potatoes. White shrimp.
Sweets: Hornazos made with almonds and cider. Strawberries.
Leave Huelva. Take Avenida de Cádiz. At the roundabout take the 2nd exit and continue along the H-30 in the direction of La Rabida – Puerto Interior. Turn left onto the N-442. At the roundabout, take exit 3 and continue on the H-624. Pass through Rabida and you will come to Palos de la Frontera.
Distances from Palos de la Frontera
Huelva 14 km
Sevilla 93 km
Niebla 28 km
Moguer 8,5 km
Almonte 42 km
Lucena del Puerto 20 km
San Juan del Puerto 15 km
Bollullos Par del Condado 39 km