Paradas Saint Eutropio Parish Church
Saint Eutropio Parish Church 18th Century
The Parish Church of Saint Eutropio is located in the center of Paradas village, few metres from the San Juan de Letrán Hermitage and San Albino Hermitage, not far from the Culture House and next to Gregorio Marañón Gardens.
It is with no doubt the most important building of the Town of Paradas. In the site that this church occupies it existed another whose first stone was put by the Count who founded Paradas Mr. Juan Ponce de Leon in the middle of the 15th century.
The is documentary certainty that this church was built at the end of the 18th century and that- after seven years of work under the direction of the diocesan architects Jose Alvarez, Fernando Rosales and Antonio Matias de Figueroa- was consecrated to Saint Eutropio, Bishop of Saintes(France) and Patron Saint of Paradas on March 3 of 1791.
It is a beautiful example of the last Sevillian Baroque in clear transition towards the neoclassicism. The main façade, made of white stone from Moron de la Frontera, is a work realized by the stonemason native of that locality Juan Muñoz. In the inside it offers a beautiful temple of five naves with Latin cross floor that holds interesting Baroque and neoclassic altarpieces. Some of them are eworks realized by the brothers Jose Victorino, Fr
ancisco, Vicente and Bruno Casau de Paz, a distinguished family of wood carver’s native of Paradas.
The wall of the temple, but the nave of the Gospel, gives access to the sacramental chapel, In whose sacristy was set up a small museum in 1968 that holds a collection of sacred glasses and other worshiped objects, ornaments, standards of the ancient brotherhoods, a valuable lustre of the 17th century and three paintings, being a canvas that represents penitent Saint Mary Magdalena the most remarkable one, a work realized by El Greco.