Peñaflor – Monastery of St. Louis of the Mountain
Monastery of St. Louis of the Mountain – Peñaflor
This is a Franciscan monastery which was built in the baroque style in the 18th century. Founded in 1492, the original monastery was in the foothills on the Sierra Morena, 6 km from Peñaflor. A fountain and some ruins can still be seen there today. In 1731 the decision was made to move the monastery from the sierra to the village of Peñaflor. Work on this new building, which is the one we can see today, began in 1750 and finished in 1766.
The temple has a single cruciform nave. The most notable features inside are its barrel vault with its supporting arches and the transept, which is covered with a hemispherical vault over pendentives decorated with plaster mouldings. Equally praiseworthy is the central altarpiece, on which appears the Dominican cost of arms, something quite curious in a Franciscan monastery. The new building was built on the site of a hermitage of the Hermandad de Nuestro Padre Jesús Nazareno (Brotherhood of Our Father Jesus of Nazareth), and since then it has been home to the penitential brotherhood of that name.
In 1835 it was affected by the ecclesiastical confiscations of Mendiazábal and the monks had to abandon the monastery. Its property was seized by the state and auctioned. In 1911, the Hermanas de la Cruz (Sisters of the Cross) settled in the building, where they remained until the middle of the seventies.