The town of Pizarra is situated to the northwest of the city of Malaga, up along the course of the Guadalhorce River, at a distance of 30 km. from Malaga, bordered to the north by Alora, to the south and east by Cártama, to the west by Casarabonela, and to the southwest by Coin.
It has an area of 64.08 km2, and has a length of 8.5 km. from north to south. It sits at an altitude of 80 metres above sea level, and its highest point reaches 447 metres at the summit of the Sierra de Gibralmora. Along these 8.5 km.it is crossed and recrossed by the most important river of the province, the Rio Guadalhorce.
Its population is 6823 according to May census of inhabitants, including such important population centres as Zalea with 617 inhabitants, Cerralba with 509, and the barriada (neighbourhood) of Hippolytus with 137. The largest population centre which gives the town its name is Pizarra with 4963 inhabitants.
An untapped potential for tourism is the proximity of several natural areas as well as its arts and popular traditions, and it is of great interest for the promotion of an alternative tourism, Turismo Rural (rural tourism).
Remains at Castillejos and the Prehistoric Necropolis of Hacho
Among the typical dishes of Pizarra´s cuisine we can highlight the “sopa aplastá”, spanish omelet, asparagus majillo and gazpacho.
If you start from Malaga, take the A-357 towards Campillos. After about 25km link up with the A-343, and three km along this road is Pizarra.
Distances from Pizarra
Malaga 30 km
Campillos 45 km
Marbella 48 km
Antequera 44 km
Cártama 14 km
Álora 9 km
Nuestra Señora de la Fuensanta Chapel
Sisters of the Cross Convent
Society of Sisters of the Cross house, ancient Dominican Mothers convent, was founded in Pizarra by Pedro Soto Domecqu (Count of Puerto Hermoso), being inaugurated in 1955.
In its interior, the magnificient Plateresque-Styled altarpiece which decorates the chapel stands out.