Pórtugos, Alpujarra Granadina
Much of the municipality is within the Sierra Nevada National Park.
The origin of the municipality is not entirely clear as to whether it is hispanoromano or Mozarabic, but it is clear that the name that gave rise to the current name of the town is Latinate.
Pórtugos comes from the Latin word “Portus”, indicating a crossing.
During the Nazari era the municipality belonged to a major administrative division called the Taha de Ferreira, in which were included several villages including Portugos and an annexe called el Lauxar, or Laujar.
In the much the same way as other many other parts of the Kingdom of Granada, after the expulsion of the Moors in 1571-72 Portugos was repopulated by 72 families (12 in Laux and 60 in Portugos).
Parish Church of Our Lady of the Incarnation
Hermitage of Our Lady of Sorrows)
Fuente Agria (Fountain)
Locally produced hams are very famous. Good kid recipes, casseroles and sweets of Moorish origin are available.’ La olla de la parva’ is the most popular dish.
Exit Granada towards Armilla. Exit Armilla and continue until Ogíjares. Pass Puntal. Continue to Maracena Continue on the road to Bailen – Motril. Pass Valdesa de la Cuesta. Arrive at Dúrcal, Through Dúrcal and continue along: E-902 / A-44. Take the exit towards: Exit 164 – Béznar – A-348, Lanjarón – La Alpujarra. At the roundabout, take exit 6. Continue along: A-348 direction: A-348 Lanjaron – E-902, A 44, Granada. Continue to Lanjaron, through Lanjaron and Orgiva, and follow signs to the town.
Distances from Pórtugos
Granada 75 km
Cádiar 38 km
Durcal 47 km
Órgiva 23 km
Pitre 2.5 km
Trevélez 13 km
Capileira 11 km
Pampaneira 8.5 km