Pozoblanco, Pedroches Valley
Pozoblanco is situated to the northeast of the province, and sits in the centre of the comarca (region) de los Pedroches, which is considered the capital. The municipality limits with Añora, Pedroche, Espiel and Villanueva de Córdoba.
The landscape therefore has the characteristics of this mountain area, with extensive meadows of oak, used for cattle ranching, and for Iberian pigs and sheep. Apart from this, there are cereal crops and olive trees.
The city, as commercial and administrative centre of the region, is the result of the mixture of tradition and modernity. On the one hand there are secluded streets of traditional houses where the granite and limestone meet, as defining elements of the architecture of the area, and secondly there are new constructions of modern buildings and wide streets. Worthy of note are the Parroquias of Santa Catalina and of San Sebastian.
The settlement seems to have been in this area in prehistoric times, and continued in one form or another, as far as we know, through the Iberian and Roman periods. Not many archaeological remains have been preserved from the Iberian period, mainly some coins and remains of pottery. There are interesting materials held in the treasury of Los Almadenes de Pozoblanco. This site, as with others we quote below, shows one of the main activities, and from the Iberian period, which developed in the region, this being mining, its products were taken out via the river Guadiato, the same that in past times had favoured the cultural relationship between the Malaga coast and the area of Badajoz.
The fact that Pedroches is not be mentioned in many of ancient written sources may be due to its location, which seems to be away from the main Roman roads, which border the town without entering it. The area escapes any Plinian description, which mentions Beturia, west of Los Pedroches, but only marginally speaks of Baedro, which is situated in this comarca. As far as the roads are concerned, the main route is Corduba – Emerita, which passed by Mellaria ( Fuente Obejuna ), to the west of this area. However, a secondary road runs through the territory, away from the Corduba – Emerita road, up to el Castillo del Vioque and going on to la Puerta de Calatraveño from where it divides into two branches giving communications with Pedroches: the first link joins Corduba with Sisapo, passing Baedro, the second turns east toward Pozoblanco, Pedroche and Torrecampo, twisting then westward, after going through El Guijo, and joining the first branch in the municipality of Santa Eufemia.
Ancient sources also cite two cities in Los Pedroches, Baedro and Solia, neither of which has been identified exactly, but it is thought that SoIia was in the eastern region and Baedro in the western. The problem with Pozoblanco is that is in a central position within the territory of Pedroches, making it difficult to link it to one city or another, on the other hand, the desire to seek a visible natural boundary between and Baedro and Solia leads us think that this might be the river Guadamatilla, leaving Pozoblanco in the eastern sector, belonging therefore to the city of Solia.
The data we have about Pozoblanco during the iberoromana times are directly related to mining, a highly developed activity throughout Sierra Morena. The area of the shrine of the Virgen de Luna, the station of La Jara, La Romana, Casa de la Solana, La Colambre and above all, Almaden de Pozoblanco all had important mineral deposits in which material has been found relating to the working of metal, mostly copper. Notable among the findings and treasure named Los Almadenes, with fibulae, torques, dishes, plates, coins, rings and discs, mainly in silver. Also belonging to the treasury is over a hundred denarii of the Roman Republican era, which demonstrates the existence of a rich indigenous Roman aristocracy or citizenry related to mining. Some inscriptions found in the area cited the likes of Caius Calpurnius Fronto, Lucius Fulvius Badius or Rufina Domitia, whose names suggest that they enjoyed Roman citizenship. Agriculture would not be very profitable, but livestock or owning a plot of grass and trees as would be the case in the area of Cordoba, whose wood is consumed in large quantities in the mines.
According to tradition Pozoblanco has had its origin in a settlement raised by the pastors of Pedroche on the occasion of a plague epidemic. Such a settlement would have been built at the place now called Pozo Viejo, at the foot of a hill, around which arose the nucleus of population. Always following this tradition, the town’s name should be the colour of that Pozo or well, the same as the colour of the bleached chicken droppings in the area.
In 1641, Las Siete Villas de los Pedroches were obliged to buy their land from the Crown, but it was not until November 1724, when the demarcation of the municipality was carried out. Soon after, in 1747, the jurisdiction of the Marquis of El Carpio over las villas de los Pedroches was lifted, and also over that of Pozoblanco. In the eighteenth century Pozoblanco had attained a certain supremacy over the rest of the towns of the comarca and so in 1771, it became the capital of Pedroches and Charles II granted the facility in the town and the district court, until then held by the neighboring village of Torremilano.
In 1836, there was a breakdown of the community of las Siete Villas over the use and enjoyment of the pasture, leading to the division of territory between them.
The nineteenth century saw a boom time for the town, as along with traditional agriculture and livestock industry it had a strong industry manufacturing cloths and kitchen towels.
Given by the hand of Alfonso XIII, Pozoblanco attained the title of city in 1971 and became the head of the area.
San Bartolomé Church
San Sebastian Church
San Gregorio Chapel
Santuary of the Virgen de Luna.
Chapel of Jesus de la Columna.
Cueva de la Osa, schematic cave paintings.
Cortijo del Germo, Visigoth epoch.
Plazoleta del Pozo Viejo.
Plazoleta del Cerro.
Casa de la Cultura.
Pozoblanco is noted for its meat and sweets that satisfy the most demanding palate. Pork products, prepared with care, are a main dish in the kitchen “pozoalbense”: ham “Iberico”, baked ham, loin in “caña”, chorizo, sausages, black pudding, presa de palletilla, Veal Vallès and leg of lamb. Among the desserts are typical pelusos and, typical of the holidays, the typical hornazo in the pilgrimage of the Virgen de Luna. Chocolate is also traditional in Pozoblanco, thanks to the existence of manufacturers that have developed over many years. One dish which is greatly appreciated is “ajito jell”, a jell made with pork fried and garlic, as well as the typical “migas totas” a dish of the ancient ancestral shepherds.
Pozoblanco is currently one of the pioneers and has the largest number of producers of organic olive oil in Spain. A major achievement has been to achieve the designation “denomination of origin” for the Iberian pig products “Pedroches”, namely hams and shoulders of ham, which has allowed a high position in the most demanding markets.
N-432 to pass Espiel.
N-502 to Alcaracejos.
C-420 to Pozoblanco.
C-450 from Monterrubio de la Serena to Belalcazar.
C-420 from Cabeza del Buey to Pozoblanco.
From Ciudad Real.
N-502 to Alcaracejos.
C-420 to Pozoblanco.
Distances from Pozoblanco
Añora 6 km
El Viso 16 km
Cordoba 72 km
Cardeña 50 km
Belalcázar 40 km
Alcaracejos 11 km
St. Euphemia A 30 km
Fuente Obejuna 58 km
Villanueva de Córdoba 21km
Villaviciosa de Cordoba 59 km