Puente Genil – Convent of the Friars
Convent of the Friars in Puente Genil
Popularly known as “Los Frailes”, its construction was carried out throughout the seventeenth century. It can be found in what is locally called “Compras de la Victoria”.
The cover of stone carved with plant motifs and the niche for the titular Saint, San Francisco de Paula, were worked upon and completed during the year 1707.
Inside stands the high altar, the work of the Lucena carver Juan de Cazorla, made of wood carved and gilded during the year 1736. In the central niche, by Manuel Garnelo, is an image of San Francisco de Paula made in 1939 by the montillano sculptor.
Distributed inside can be found several altarpieces from the second half of the 18th century, but of smaller proportions, as well as some owners images of various Holy week brotherhoods of Puente Genil: Jesús de las Peñas, Virgin Ángeles, Jesús de los Afligidos and Ntra. Ms. del Rosario.
Worthy of note are the columns in the great cloister, of the year 1725, all within the Conventual outbuildings. Inside, the collections of the Archaeological Museum of Puente Genil are to be seen.