Puerco Watchtower – Chiclana de la Frontera
The Puerco Watchtower dates back to the 15th century and was already built in 1577.
The Torre del Puerco was built in the fifteenth century in the highest part of the Loma del Puerco. Its floor plan is circular, like that of all the towers between Conil and Chiclana, except for Roche’s. It is about 2.5 meters in diameter and 7 meters high, and is located about 50 meters from the sea.For its construction, Roman materials were used, such as bricks, tegulas and waste from the firing of pottery from the surroundings. In Loma del Puerco, several structures from the Roman era were documented in 2002, which were already known, since they had been located in surveys carried out in the early 1990s. Its function was military surveillance, although it also served to control the passing of the tuna.
The tower was in a manifest state of abandonment, although in the first half of 2017 a restoration process was launched.