Ronda – Church of La Merced
Church of La Merced – Ronda
In 1551, the Mercedarian Order moved to this location, founding a convent dedicated to Our Lady of Mercy, although it was not until 1585 that the church was built. Along with the vegetable garden, it is the only part still in existence.
After the convent was closed down in 1822, the building was used to house the African Regiment, passing into private hands in 1846 and undergoing profound reforms towards the end of the century.
Today it belongs to the Barefoot Carmelite community, who conserve the relic of one of Santa Teresa´s hands.
The church consists of three naves; in the widest, central one, covered by a tunnel vault with steadyrests and facias, a choir raised over the base of a segmental arch, and a transept covered with a semi-shperical dome over a high drum provided with small windows and balconies.
The church´s façade is of masonry and divided by rigid brick pilasters, the whole area being covered in whitewash. One salient feature is the stone doorway, with its semicircular arch. A tower, of octagonal shape and made of brick imitating masonry, rises from one of its sides.