Ronda – Town Hall
Ronda Town Hall
Duquesa de Parcent Square
Originally the main barracas of the Provincial Militias, it was constructed in 1734, seemingly on top a series of ancient shops, with colonnades created in the 16th Century and of provable Islamic origin (the central market), forming one of the sides of the main square. After the Peninsular War the barracks remained in a state of total abandonment until a major reform was undertaken in 1818. Some years later, it served as barracks for a troop of cavalry. The actual state of the building today is due to restoration work carried out in 1973.
The building has three floors, the two upper stories having superimposed lines of arches whilst the lower is nearly totally enclosed, with only a few openings providing illumination for the interior. On the other hand, in the 19th Century, the archways were almost completely hidden. One outstanding feature is the Salon de Plenos (the Council Room), which is possessed of an extremely sober architectural syle.
The doorway´s original decoration covered two stories and consisted of a semicircular archway enclosed in a Moorish design in the interior of which appeared a heraldic design and inscriptions.