Andalucia Rustica

Search More

Villages in Granada

Rubite

Villages in Granada

Rubite

Rubite is a town on the Alpujarra Baja Granadina, (lower Alpujarras), near the Mediterranean coast which enjoys a mild subtropical climate, suitable for the cultivation of fig trees and vineyards that produce the famous wine of this region.

The southern end of the municipality opens onto the coast, sharing the essence of the Mediterranean region: a calm sea, bright blue skies and warm gentle breezes that give character and the name, Costa Tropical, to this unique area.

The municipality of Rubite is bordered to the north by Alcazar, to the east by  Polopos, to the south by Gualchos and the sea, and to the west, by Lújar.

The origin of the word Rubite is Mozarabic (from the Latin for ‘Rubus-Rubetum’ meaning ‘brambleberry’ or ‘blackberry’). The first writings of the existence of Rubite here are found in the Andalusian period. In the eleventh century Al Udri speaks of the existence of Juz de Bargis, which most likely later become Rubite. Under the Nazarite rule (XIII-XV centuries), the territory consisting of Sierra Lújar-Contraviesa corresponded to the Alpujarran tahas of Sahil and Suhayl (later called by the Spaniards ‘Gran y Pequeno Cehel’). In these sierras Berber peasants of the Contraviesa cultivated orchards irrigated by water from ancient springs and aquifers taken from mines, pipelines and reservoirs.

The Taha de Suhayl grouped together the villages of Lújar-Luli (Olias) Fregenite, Rubite, Ulbrite (located approximately at the cortijo {farmstead} called “Rubite el Alto’), Bargis, Alfaz and Alcazar. Professor Gómez Moreno also added the sites of Xolucar, Xona, Colonda, La Garnatilla, Gualchos el Viejo and el Nuevo, la Arrayhana and Soyena.

In 1500-1501 the forced conversion of the muslims led to the departure of a large number of Moors to North Africa.

In 1504 12 sites were abandoned in the Alpujarra baja: Torvizcón, Luli (Olias), Pino, Alfoz, Fregenite, Bargis, Ubrite and Rubite (all the Moors left the region), Mecina Gualchos and Tedet, all belonging to the riverside taha of Suhayl.

Luis del Marmol Carvajal in his “History of the rebellion and punishment of the Moorish kingdom of Granada “(1568-1570) tells us that: ‘…. los Ceheles are two tahas together on the seafront .. ..’ ‘which are to the west, called Zueyhel …’, ‘In it are the places of Rubite, Bargix and Alcazar …’, ‘The lands that run down to the sea coast are uninhabited and therefore very dangerous, because usually there are usually many ships of Turkish pirates and of the Moors of Barbary. ‘

In 1505 the lordship of Albuñol (old tahas of Suhayl and Sahil) was acquired by direct purchase from Queen Juana for Don Luis Zapata y Portocarrero, whose noble house, in 1492, had taken part in the conquest of Granada, making Albuñol the seat of government and justice.

Don Luis Zapata, a confidant of the crown and the Earl of Tendilla, had strong military support, given the characteristics of the territory, so close to the coast, to prevent attacks and incursions by the Muslims of North Africa.

In the eighteenth century the ownership of the manor passed by legitimate transmission to the Conde of Cifuentes, who, from 1682 authorized the actual sale of land, vineyards and property to farmers in the region.

In the book corresponding to Rubite, for the Marquis of Ensenada in 1752, is written ‘this place is over lorded and owned by the Conde de Cifuentes, rightful owner of it. This noble earned from the census, on houses, building plots, the fortune of the estate of Torvizcón, plus sales taxes, a right over the rental of land, together with 2 / 3 of the tithes and grazing rights of the meadows. All this produces 6,000 to 7,000 ducats a year’ Rubite’s contribution to the coffers of the Conde de Cifuentes if we read from the questionnaire of 1752 is as follows: ‘… that everything taken amounts to two thousand four hundred and one ‘maravedises’ (farthings.)

Delving a little deeper into the development of the manor, there is a testimony of May 14, 1795 at which is reflected that the manor had changed hands: ‘… These places of Olias, Fregenite and the Rubite manor belonging to Conde de Cifuentes, more so today to his heirs who are the Conde of Santa Coloma, having married a daughter of Cifuentes’ Also at this time and know that Olias and Rubite are extensions of Fregenite, extending the municipal area of Rubite to the sea, and situated in this area are the cortijos called Los Arrastradero which are less than an old league from Rubite. The three municipalities that make up this tripartite have at their head Torvizcón, a situation which looks like remaining for a long time.

Of the different micro-regions which comprise the kingdom of Granada, those which have the most notable increase in population between 1714 and 1787 are further south, being the area of the coast that has shown the most vitality throughout the century.

Monuments

Iglesia Parroquial(Parish Church)
Aljibes Almohades

Rubite Gastronomy

The town has a varied cuisine. Here you can taste seafood specialties – such as ‘zalamandroña’ soup, with sardines and squash – and from inland, migas, casseroles and kid with garlic. Desserts include pumpkin syrup and fig bread.
In the municipality of Rubite there are abundant vineyards, with fig and almond trees.

Directions

From Granada: Take N-323 south (towards Motril). After about 37 km take the exit towards Lanjaron. Continue on this road until you reach Órgiva. Pass Órgiva. Take A-4131. Turn right: GR-5206. Follow signs to Rubite.

Distances from Rubite

Lújar 15 km
Adra 47km
Motril 35 km
Cádiar 35 km
Órgiva 23 km
Polopos 16km
Albuñol 29 km
Alfornón 15 km
Granada 80 km
Salobreña  41 km
Almuñecar 53 km
Castell de Ferro 16 km


Un comentario

  1. Ana Brunhetti Parra escribio:

    Buenas tardes

    Me gustaría saber si la iglesia de la ciudad de Rubite tiene correo electrónico.
    Si es así, ¿podrías pasarme?

    Muchas gracias

Leave A Comment