San Juan de Aznalfarache
San Juan de Aznalfarache
The small town of San Juan de Aznalfarache is situated at the eastern end of the region of Aljarafe and on the right bank of the river Guadalquivir. The municipality limits with Tomares, Camas, Sevilla, Mairena del Aljarafe y Gelves.
The village is situated on the edge of the cornice of the Aljarafe, occupying a hill of 47 metres, from which you can see the Vega del Guadalquivir. The origin of the settlement should be defensive, building height Chaboya hill, adjacent to the existing Hill of Los Sagrados Corazones. Off-campus expansion does not occur until high mid-eighteenth century, led to the south and by the roadside Gelves (Calle Real).
The Roman “Osset”, that coined its own currency in which a human head obverse and the reverse a standing figure with a bunch of grapes in his right hand, became in time Arabic-Al-Faraj Hisn (Castle Miradero), a name from which derived “Alfarache” first and “Aznalfarache” later.
This fortress which gave the place its name, was built between 1196 and 1197 by mandate of Yacub Almanzor, then used as the residence of the king-poet Al-Motamid. Along with the castle of Triana is the “key to the whole Axarafe.”
After being conquered by the master Pelay Correa, by order of Ferdinand III, it was granted by him to champions and seafarers, including Ramón Bonifaz. The castle was taken over by the Military Order of St. John of Jerusalén on February 25, 1248, and confirmed this grant in Sevilla, at the end of 1253. From this time comes from the first part of the name.
In the early XV century this castle, in ruins, was occupied by the “Orden Tercera” to exercise their religious activity on the population and Tomares.
During the centuries XV, XVI and XVII, San Juan is in the key of secular lordship and stresses, and since then, for its magnificent olive groves. For its magnificent climate and quality sites, in the XIX century it remained much visited by the inhabitants of the capital. In this century, culminating a process of literary inspiration, which began in the XVII century, from the pen of such “major writers” as Matthew German, Lope de Vega, Juan de Mal Lara, Luis de Belmonte Bermúdez, etc.
In the Age of Romanticism are also drawing the attention of “artists” as the French watercolourist Jena Vanzalle and Joaquín Bécquer and Tomás Barrón. Richard Ford took notes, in line and word of the beautiful city. The Duke of Rivas and Zorrilla culminates this trend with “Don Álvaro, o la fuerza del sino” and “Don Juan Tenorio”, respectively.
San Juan de Aznalfarache Monuments
Monument to the Corazón de Jesús
Church of Los Sagrados Corazones
Church of San Juan Bautista
Chapel of Ntra. Sra. del Rosario
San Juan de Aznalfarache Gastronomy
Oxtail. Tortilla in Sauce. Beef and lamb grill.
How to get there
You have to exit Sevilla. Take: Carretera Muro de Defensa, go straight towards: Huelva-Mérida-SE-30-E-49-E-803-N-630. Take: E-803 / A-66 / SE-30, follow towards Coria del Río, E-1-E-49-Huelva-Mérida. In the area around Camas, take: A-3122, towards: Salida 15A-San Juan de Aznalfarache (high) – Mairena del Aljarafe – Coria del Río. Then you get San Juan de Aznalfarache.
Distances from San Juan de Aznalfarache
Sevilla 6,5 km
Tomares 3 km
Umbrete 18 km
Espartinas 15 km
Mairena del Aljarafe 3,5 km
Castilleja de la Cuesta 4,5 km
Bollullos de la Mitación 19 km