Andalucia Rustica

Search More

Monuments in Cádiz

San Roque Town Hall

Monuments in Cádiz

San Roque Town Hall

The Town Hall of San Roque is located in the center of the town, in the Armas Square, near Saint Mary the Crowned Parish Church and just few meters from the Governor´s Palace.

The Town Hall has 19th century neoclassical architecture and was built in 1841.The building features a stained glass window and marble plaques, dating back to the 1950s, depicting the issue of the sovereignty of Gibraltar and the loss of the Rock in 1704.

In 1824 a piece of land in Calle Prevencion was purchased to extend the existing premises and from then on further extensions were added.

During the First Republic the canton of San Roque was declared, giving the city its independence. In 1909 King Alfonso XIII visited the Town Hall where the Corporation held a reception in his honour.

During the Coup dÉtat on 23rd February 1981, the democratic Corporation stayed inside the building until the forces within the army who where in favour of the coup had surrendered.

Town Hall of San Roque


0 comentarios

Leave A Comment