San Silvestre de Guzmán
San Silvestre de Guzmán
San Silvestre de Guzmán is a town in the southwestern province on the border with Portugal, the Guadiana River being the natural boundary. The Municipality limits with Sanlúcar de Guadiana and Ayamonte.
The most popular activities in the river area are hunting and the breeding of pigs and sheep.
The presence of man in the area dates back for at least five thousand years, as confirmed by the remains of a Castle to the north of the Fuentesanta houses on a hill very close to the Guadiana.
From a very early date the lands of San Silvestre de Guzmán became the border limits of the numerous different administrative boundaries which divided the west of the province. The Muslim Taifa Kingdoms of Mértola and the Algarve, Portugal’s temporary ownership of the area after the Christian reconquest, and territorial separation between the Marquis of Ayamonte and the Gibraleón, established the borders of these lands.
The reasons for the founding of the town can be found in the sixteenth century population increase, and the pressure of population upon Ayamontes limited natural resources, making it unable to support the inhabitants. In 1531, Don Silvestre de Guzmán, Marquis of Ayamonte, donated the meadows of Los Verdes and Campanillas for the repopulation of an extensive territory of the estate, and in 1595 the then Marquis of Ayamonte, Don Francisco de Guzman awarded the Town Charter or title of town, and gave permits to 42 vassals who had “old houses” in the meadows of Los Verdes and Campanillas. The inhabitants of this town are given the adjective of Sansilvestreros. The economic activities of the inhabitants of this area were influenced by the poor quality of soil, and in 1640 during the War of Independence, the Sansilvestreros fled to safer ground, which brought about a population reduction of 50% in a very short period of time.
The old town is built around the parish church, and is structured this way until today.
The current population is around 650 inhabitants and the major economic activities are agriculture through the development of irrigated areas, the cultivation of oranges, and the service sector.
Monuments in San Silvestre de Guzmán
Parish Church. Its construction began in the sixteenth century, which accounts for the main chapel, which is of Gothic style. Further reforms in the seventeenth century extended the original structure, modifying the nave and coffered ceiling. On the exterior the main body of the belfry and the bells were added.
Plaza de España,, a typical eighteenth century building, very closed in itself, with access at two corners.
Pillar of la Huerta and picnic area
San Silvestre de Guzmán Gastronomy
Partridge stew: Any stew normally made with rice and meat, or during hunting seasonthe main ingredient for the pot is partridge meat. Rabbit in sauce: It is usually accompanied by chips. Rice pudding.
Rabbit. Lamb stew. Cachola with pork. Migas.
Sweets: Sweets fried and honeyed. Pestiños. Hojuelas. Rosas.
Leaving Huelva, continue along the Avenida Costa de la Luz. Take the exit towards the A-492. In Corrales, at the roundabout take the 1st exit. Continue along the A-492. Pass near Aljaraque. Follow the E-1 / A-49. Take the exit towards: Exit 125 – Villablanca – N-431 – Ayamonte Este. At the roundabout take the 2nd exit. Continue along the A-499 heading to Villablanca. Pass through Villablanca, and you will come to San Silvestre de Guzmán.
Distances from San Silvestre de Guzmán
Huelva 53 km
Lepe 25 km
Ayamonte 25 km
Cartaya 30 km
Villablanca 10 km
Isla Cristina 26 km
San Bartolomé de la Torre 31 km
Villanueva de los Castillejos 15 km