Sanlúcar de Barrameda
Sanlúcar de Barrameda
Salúcar de Barrameda is located in the Atlantic coast of Andalucía, being one of the main towns in Cádiz. It is specifically located in the left bank of the mouth of the River Guadalquivir and in front of one of the main nature reserves of the European Continent, the National Park of Doñana.
Nowadays the town has more or less 61.648 inhabitants and its economy is developed around the coastal fishing, the agriculture and the manufacture of wines. Its historic origins go back to the mythical civilization of the Tartessos. The most brilliant moments of the town are related to the discovery of America and the later trade with the new Continent. Most of the more notable monuments come from that age. Among them we can emphasize the Church of Santo Domingo and the Church of La Merced, nowadays it is auditorium.
Orleans – Bourbon Palace (The current Town Hall): in the second half of the XIX century, the Dukes of Montpesier decided t olive in Sanlúcar during the summer season. For that purpose, they built a palace in the upper city, a place with a privileged view of the Guadalquivir River and the Doñana Park. The palace was raised by remoulding the former buildings. It occupies a total of 6,592 m2.
It was inhabited by three generations of the founding family until it was acquired, in the 80s of the last century, by the local government of Sanlúcar de Barrameda, becoming the seat of the same in 1993.
The outside of the palace shows Neoclassical and Neomudejar styles. The interior spaces were decorated using different exotic and oriental styles. The bathroom and de dining hall, the current meeting room, stand out on the ground floor, surrounding the patio. On the first floor, various private romos and halls were situated, like the Chinesse and the Bamboo Halls, which decotarion is worthy of note.
The gardens were designed in English style, characterized by natural esthetic effects, combining different species of tres and plants.
Ducal Palace of Medina Sidonia: the palace is situated in the Upper City, wher the mouth of the Guadalquivir River is exceptionally appreciated. The palace and its extensive gardens occupy a total of 14,850 m2.
After obtaining in 1297 the lordship of Sanlúcar, Guzmán The Good was established in the Old Alcazar, a fortress with arches of Hispano-Arabic type taht the current palace still retains.
Hes descendants, the Dukes of Medina Sidonia, moved his main residence to the Alcazar in 1524, extending it successsively from that momento, as it occurred to the Half of Columns. In the XVII century the “Great Hall” was built, designed as a Music Room and enriched with paintings and sumptuary furniture, forming an interesting collection of artworks. Fron 1641 to 1711, it was the residence of the Governor of the City, and during the Independence War, it was used by the French tropos as barracks, suffering severe damage.
After the return of the Dukes to Sanlúcar in 1847, decorative innovations were introduced again. During the Spanish Civil War, it was used as headquarters of the Phalange, and later inhabited by the Duchess of Medina Sidonia, Mrs. Isabel Álvarez de Toledo.
Successive estensions and reforms of the original palace show today a building with various decorative styles. It is evident, above all, the Renaissance style and Baroque spaces, typical of civil Andalusian architecture. The beautiful gardens extend around the palace, differentiating varios areas perfectly embedded. Today, the palace preserves the Archives of the Ducal House of Medina Sidonia, being the seat of the “Medina Sidonia Foundation”.
Santiago Castle: XV Century. It was constructed by the II Duke of Medina Sidonia, Enrique Pérez de Guzmán, the Magnificent. The fortress was built to defend Sanlúcar and the mouth of the Guadalquivir River. It is located in one of the highest areas of the city. Of note, the Gate of the Siren and the distinctive Homage Tower, hexagonal shape, from which you can contémplate a magnificent view of the mouth of the Guadalquivir River and the Doñana Park. It is said, that the Queen Isabel the Catholic saw the sea from here for the first time.
Las Covachas: XV Century. Portico with profuse decoration in Stone, made in late Gothic style, over one of the mural walls of the Medina Sidonia Ducal Palace, considered the ancient Rampart of the city. It consists of Stone motifs with pointed buttressses and arches wich sustain winged serpents. Its origianl function is unknown. Throughout the centuries, it had many uses, as gunner stronghold, comercial, religious and municipal housing stock.
The Merced Auditorium: XVII century. Built by the VIII Duke of Medina Sidonia to accommodate the Mercedarios Order. Stylistically it fits the first Andalusian Baroque style. After de Confiscation in the XIX century, the convent was acquired by the Dukes of Montpensier, where they built a part of their palace. The church was open for worship until 1955. After its restoration as Auditorium in 1997, different cultural activities are offered here since then, in its interior, we can notice a profuse decoration of the choir and the tombs of the Dukes founders, situated under the presbytery.
Cultural Center of Victoria: XVII century. Mannerist style. Former convent d Minumus and former winery. Now is a cultural center.
Puerta de Rota
Sacred Art Museum and Tesoro de la Esperanza
Sanlúcar de Barrameda Churches
Our Lady of the “O” Parish Church: The construction of the temple was defrayed by Isabel de la Cerda y Guzman, the granddaughter of Alfonso X the Wise and Guzman the Good. It was completed in 1360, although the decorative elements of the main entrance lead to suppose that the Works were ended around 1450. Due to its historical interest and rich heritage, it was declared a monument of Historic-Artistic value in 1931.
The original structure was distributed in the form of a basilica. Later, chapels of different periods and artistic styles were built. The naves are covered with an elaborate coffered ceiling. Its exterior shows a magnificent frontage and the bell tower, which was built by Alonso de Vandelvira in 1604.
In its interior, we can admire a magnificent collection of devotional images and wrks of Sacred Art. In the altarpiece, we can see the image of Our Lady of “O” (the early XVII century). The image of the Virgin de la Antigua, which travellers commended themselves to before going to the New World is housed here, as well as the Martyrdom of St. Sebastian, by Vasco Pereira (XVI century).
The magnificent Tabernacle Chapel (1675), the Table of Descent, attributed to Pedro de Campaña, the Sculpture of the True Cross of Christ, attributed to Francisco de Ocampo, belonging to the Circle of Martinez Montañes and polychromed by Francisco Pacheco, the teacher and the father-in-law of Velázquez, can be also found here among other magnificent Works, as well as the polyptych of the Sacred Kindred (1549), performed by Hernando de Esturmio.
Basilica of Our Lady of Charity: XVII Century. Built by Alonso de Vandelvira and funded by the VII Duke of Medina Sidonia. It was made in Mannerist style in 1609, the image of Our Lady of Charity was moved to the church, becoming since then the seat of the patrones of the city. The altarpiece presents various scenes from the life of the Virgin Mary, as well as numerous reliquaries. In the niche, the image of the Virgin of Charity (XVII century) is housed. The paintings of the church (XVII century) are mainly made by the painter Francisco Juanete. The highlight paintings are the image of Jesus of Humility and Patience, attributed to Alonso de Gándara, and the image of Jesus Nazarenne (XVII century), attributed to Francisco de Ocampo.
San Diego Church. XVII century. Former convent of the Diego Monks, built in classical Baroque style. In 1837, the Mercy Hospital was settled here. The church is open for worship and the former convent now is a health center.
San Miguel Church. XVII century. Built in classical Baroque style by the Confraternity of St. Michael, at the place where the chapel of St. John of Letran was situated. Of note, the paintings in its interior.
Carmelitas Descalzas Convent: XVII century. Built in classical style, in its interior, magnificent altarpieces of Baroque and Rococo style are worth of note. The convent preserves the Barrameda Codex, the manuscript of Spiritual Canticle of St. John of the Cross. It has an interesting Exhibition of Sacred Art.
Nuestra Señora del Carmen Parish Church: XVII century. Former Carmelite Convent, built in classical Baroque style. Its interior includes the magnificent altarpieces and religious imagery, as well as the sculpture of Our Lady of Sorrws.
Madre de Dios Convent: XVII century. Baroque style predominates. It is the seat of the Dominican Order. Of note, the frontage of the lat Mannerist style, the doublé neoclassical front and beautiful oval Windows. It has a splendid choir inside.
Church of the Homeless: XVII century. Temple-Hospital, built by the Brotherhood of the Holy Charity. Of note, the sculpture of Our Lady of The Homeless.
Holy Trinity Church: XV century. Baroque style, founded by D. Alonso Fernández de Lugo, conqueror of the Island of La Palma in 1441. The Honorary Tomb of the founder is situated in the presbytery. Also, there is the image of Our Lady of Sorrow, attributed to La Roldana.
Regina Coeli Convent: XVI century. Built in Renaissance style, is the seat of the Franciscan Clarets Order. Its exterior shows a doublé monumental frontage. In its interior, pictures of the school of Seville of the XVII century are worthy of note.
San Jorge Church: XVII century. Baroque style. It has a magnificent altarpiece, by Pedro Reling with sculptures of St. George, St. Peter and St. Paul. Nowadays, is the seat of the Brotherhood of Our Lady of Rosary of Sanlúcar.
Santo Domingo Parish Church: XVI century. The church formed a part of the Santo Domingo Convent. The community remained there until 1835, after the Confiscation, the convent bécame winery, the use it currently has. The church has remainde open for worship to our days. The temple is built in Mannerist style and it is made entirely of Stone. At the foot of the temple, there is a choir, supported by a vaulted ceiling, decorated with emblems of the “House of Mist”. The main nave is the image of the Virgin of Rosary called “The Galeona” (XVI century).
San Francisco Church: XVIII century. The church formed part of the former Franciscan convent. The images of the Holy Sepulchre and Our Lady of Loneliness, declared objects of Cultural Interest, can be contemplated in its interior.
San Nicolás Parish Church: XVIII century. Built in classical style. In its interior, murals of the main altar and American paintings, as well as the sculpture of Christ of the Expiration and beatiful baroque altarpieces are worthy of note.
Capuchinos Convent: XVII century. Built in Baroque style. Sailors to the Indies used to commend themselves to the Virgin of Good Voyage, which is housed in this convent.
Bodegas of Barbadillo
Bodegas Herederos de Argüeso
Bodegas Pedro Romero
Bodegas “La Cigarrera”
Bodegas Hidalgo-La Gitana
The gastronomy of Sanlúcar is linked to the land and sea in their products.
You can taste a huge and varied taste delight without forgetting the wine and the seafood.
The seafood from Sanlúcar, and par excellence the Langostino (King Prawn), is very famous in all the country. Its success is due to the own qualities of taste and texture and the way the king prawn is cooked.
Both the MANZANILLA (dry sherry) like other kinds of “table” wines that have less sterenght and a pale colour will delight everybody in any bar “snacks” of Sanlúcar.
However, we have to say that thanks to our mild Oceanic climate, it is possible a huge variety of agricultural and countryside products that accompany dishes of our traditional local cuisine.
Sanlúcar, like crossing of cultures has a very delicious gastronomic tradition, being a clear exponent its confectionery.
We can mention the Arab sweets like, mantecados (buns made with lard), nougat candies, etc., and fried such as the French toasts, fritters, the jams and tocinos de cielo (sweets made with egg yolk and sugar) from the enclosed convents in Sanlúcar that have preserved and improved secularly, the lovely legacy of these local delicious, from the evangelization age of India.
From our days we can find the handmade confectioner’s hops and ice-cream parlours whose prestige is known all around the world.
How to get there
By car: Sanlúcar has connections with the Cities of Jerez de La Frontera, El Puerto de Santa María, Chipiona and Trebujena.
By plane: Sanlúcar is located to 20 Kilometres from the Airport of Jerez de la Frontera, and to this place people from the entire world.
By train: Sanlúcar has not railway connection. However it is possibly get by train until Jerez de la Frontera or El Puerto de Santa Maria, and later take a bus until Sanlúcar.
Cádiz 54 km
Sevilla 107 km
Huelva 196 km
Jerez de la Frontera 25 km