Setenil de las Bodegas – Nuestra Señora de la Encarnación Parish Church
Nuestra Señora de la Encarnacion Parish Church
Nuestra Señora de la Encarnacion Parish Church is located in the town center of Setenil de las Bodegas.
Built under the patronage the Catholic King and Queen; Isabel and Ferdinand after the Conquest of Setenil, this church is very much in the line with the late Gothic constructions that symbolised the triumph over the Moslem people at the end of the 15th century. Its building was begun around 1505 under the supervision of Friar Diego de Deza. At the beginning of the 17th century, Pedro Diaz de Palacios, the Master Builder of the Diocese of Malaga, continued with the supervision of this work.
The church is located just few minutes from Setenil de las Bodegas Castle.
The church is an unfinished work of late Gothic style, with some building features that foresaw the Renaissance. The central nave and façade were never built as the work was finally suspended in 1614. This is the parish church of the town and the sanctuary from which processions of the Brotherhood of the Holy True Cross (the White ones) set out during the popular Holy Week in Setenil.
The layout is a nave with a transept covered with a vault made of triangular shapes and a chancel with an intertwining of Gothic ribs similar to a vault composed of star shapes. Inside, many important religious objects from the beginning of the 17th century and a silk and gold chasuble, which the Catholic King and Queen donated on the consecration of the building. There is also an altarpiece, painted on board, of notable Gothic influence, from the late 15th century. With regard to the iconography of this altarpiece, it can be said that it portrays scenes from the childhood of Christ and on the centre piece the mystery of the Incarnation, to which the Church is dedicated.