Sohail Castle – Fuengirola
Built in polygonal plan, it has several tall and narrow towers, located in the angles, a tower located in the center of the building and that reaches a greater hieght and another tower that stands out for its battlements.
The Sohail Castle was built in stone, although due to the different inhabitants who occupied its rooms, the masonry was also used with brick courses, a material widely used by the Arabs. Some parts of the building were reinforced with rammed earth and ashlar masonry.
Since ancient times and due to its privileged location, the Sohail Castle was continually populated by Phoenicians, Punics, Romans, Muslims and Christians. The existing construction today is an Arab citadel built on a previous Roman fortress and dating from the early days of the invasion of the Iberian Peninsula.
In the year 956 the Caliph Abderraman III from Cordoba ordered the construction of Sohail Castle, is mostly what we can contemplate these days.
In 1485 it was practically destroyed after being conquered by the Christians. At this time an important adaptation of its architecture begins.
Due to its privileged location, Sohail Castle was a key piece in the coastal surveillance network, apart from controlling the mouth of the Fuengirola River and the land communication route between Malaga and Marbella.
The Almoravids in the 15th century built a defensive enclosure with an irregular floor plan, with eight stretches of wall reinforced by towers.
Due to its proximity to the sea, both the town of Fuengirola and the fortress suffered attacks from the famous pirate Barbarossa, which led to King Carlos I ordering the construction of a moat.
The main tower of the Castle of Sohail ceased to be the access to the enclosure in the 16th century, a new entrance was opened, one of the towers where a platform for the placement of cannons was built was also illuminated.
During the War of Independence, Napoleon and his army seized the castle, this happened on February 8, 1810. Months later, General Lord Blayney landed on the beaches of Fuengirola with 2,500 soldiers. After three days of siege, the besieged received the help of 3,000 French under the command of General Sebastiani, Lord Blayney falling prisoner. On April 16, General Ballesteros takes Fuengirola and seizes the castle, thus returning to Spanish hands.