The little town of Tomares is located in the western sector of the province of Sevilla and in the far eastern region of Aljarafe, leaning over the river Guadalquivir. In 1996 it had 16,980 inhabitants. The town sits on a rolling terrain and gentle slopes at an altitude between 80 and 120 metres.
There were found palpable traces of occupation in the Bronze Age in the area of Santa Eufemia and is also known that this area was a small Roman “villae”. During the period of Muslim rule, our town, that belonged to the district of “Axarafe” from “Hisnal-Faray”, was divided into several hamlets.
During the reign of Alfonso X El Sabio, after the expulsion of the Arabs, the Muslim population of Aljarafe disappears. The Christian reconquest leaves this area as an available land for afforestation. The distribution of lands, which benefited many settlers from Castile, León, Asturias, Galicia and Catalonia, was gradually returning to Aljarafe its demographic features, its agricultural and bustle of trade.
At the beginning of the XV century, the royal had the most of the lands in the district, to be a favourite area for expansion of the feudal regime. The rest was divided among the ecclesiastical lordships. It is said that, at that time or somewhat later, the village was linked with Francisco Orozco, first Marquis of Saduín and Viscount of Tomares.
It is at the end of the XV century when Tomares first appears in the list of municipalities aljarafeños. Gaspar de Guzmán, III Count-Duke of Olivares, get what their ancestors failed, in 1627 annexed to their possessions along with other lands of aljarafe, to Tomares. After the death of one of the successors of the Count-Duke, Gaspar de Haro, the lands from Tomares passed to the Casa Ducal de Alba, and in a less extent, to the Church.
On May 21, 1881 Civil Government from Seville approves the separation of Tomares and San Juan de Aznalfarache that had been united since the Muslim period, becoming independent municipalities. After paying back process of Madoz (1885), the dominion of Seville controls much of the aljarafeño land ownership.
Las Farmhouses begin to become important not only as the village of olives, but also as a place of temporary residence of the agrarian bourgeoisie in Seville, which is gradually consolidating its territorial and political power. Meanwhile most of the population works in the field and small manufacturing.
The town of Tomares arises mainly from the confluence of three of these estates: that of Montefuerte, Santa Ana and Zaudín Alto. Among its historical curiosities, we have to speak about the origin of its name. While Tomares toponym has no a known origin, there are theories that suggest that the word comes from the Arabic name “Tomar”, which means “burial”, perhaps because this area is said to have been buried an Arab holy man, “Abuyahya” in a mosque. Other sources claim that its origin is the Hebrew word: Tomaret, or would the city to which Pliny called Tema or Toma, it seems that was located in this area.
Ntra. Sra. de Belen Parish Church
Old farms: El Carmen, Navarro and Cartuja.
Revoltijo (broth with eggs). Sopa blanca (egg, lemon). Rice from Aljarafe, with chicken and olives.
How to get there
You have to leave Sevilla. In the area around Camas, take: E-1 / A-49 towards Camas -Huelva – A-49. Pass near Camas and Ginés. Take the exit towards Salida 2-Castilleja de la Cuesta – Tomares – Centros Comerciales. Pass near Castilleja de la Cuesta and continue until you get Tomares.
Distances from Tomares
Sevilla 7 km
Camas 5 km
Utrera 44 km
Gelves 5,5 km
Bormujos 4 km
Espartinas 8 km
Sanlúcar la Mayor 15 km
Mairena del Aljarafe 5 km
San Juan de Aznalfarache 3 km