Torres, Sierra Mágina Natural Park
Torres is a town located to the south of the province, in a landscape full of mountain ranges, olive groves fields, cereals, almond trees, vegetable gardens and mountain areas. The municipality limits with Jimena, Albanchez de Mágina, Cambil, Pegalajar and Mancha Real.
The urban whole is an authentic monument, made up an urban landscape worthy of admiration, in which we can emphasize the Palace de Los Cobos, with the front built by Andrés de Vandelvira.
Its municipal district belongs to the Natural Park of Sierra Mágina that is part of the Subbética Range and presents beautiful and spectacular landscapes. As for the vegetation, we can find holm oaks, quejigales, Aleppo pines and European Black Pine. Its lush and varied fauna is also very important.
We can find in Torres on e of the oldest proofs about the human presence in the province, the cave paintings in La Cueva del Morrón, from the Palaeolithic Age.
The city centre of Torres should have its origin among the VIII and IX centuries, in one of the numerous farmhouses or small villages that according to Arab sources settled the area of Sumuntan Sierra Mágina. Because of its location, in a frontier area between Moslems and Castilians, it had an eventful Middle Age, which was conquered and reconquered several times.
Torres was conquered by Fernando III el Santo and joined to the lands that belonged to Baeza. In 1434 the king Juan II gave it to the Order of Calatrava (the first military order founded in Castile), that set up La Encomienda de Torres, Canena, Jimena and El Heredamiento de Recena.
During the XV century Torres was battlefield between the Masters of this Order and Enrique IV’s supporters headed by the Condestable Miguel Lucas de Iranzo. According to the Chronicles, in one of the travels made by the Master of Calatrava, Pedro Girón, used the town of Torres in order to take refuge with eight hundred nags. Refuge that was used six years later by Juan de Mendoza “Comendador de la Peña de Martos and of Torres e Ximena”, in his tumults against the Moorish from Granada.
The life for the inhabitants who lived in Torres with the term of office of the commander was not easy, above all with the commander Juan de Mendoza, who was so tyrant with the inhabitants and he inflicted such offenses and oppression, that in 1486 the Concejo (Municipality) showed its discontent to the Master of the Order, achieving that the so-called “Capitulación de Arjonilla” was signed for both sides. Under these capitulations there were defined the reciprocal rights and duties and were confirmed the privileges made to the villa by the Order of Calatrava. This capitulation was a victory of the Spanish Councils over the power of the Orders.
In 1538 Carlos V sold Torres to his secretary Francisco de los Cobos who was an important patron of the Renaissance in Úbeda and its region. During this period the town was part of the extensive lordship that belonged to Francisco de los Cobos and after his descendants, the Marquis of Camarasa, until the extinction of the feudal privileges in 1812.
Parish Church. It has a Visigoth baptismal font.
Site of La Cueva del Morrón.
Roman site of El Cerro Alcalá. It has an Iberian necropolis.
House of Prior Higueras’ Street.
Palace of Los Cobos.
Slope of La Pila.
Torres has a delicious gastronomy based on local products; the most important are the ones derived from the pork slaughtering, such as chorizos, black puddings and pastry called betún (cheese spread, sugar, butter and vanilla). We can also taste the talarines, morococo (chickpeas, tomato and onion), migas con torreznos (flour, olive oil and salt with salted sardines, fried rashers of bacon, dry fried peppers, cucumber, fruits, chorizos…), lomo adobado (marinated loin), Gachas (wheat flour, water, olive oil, garlic and salt), papas con ajillo (potatoes with garlic)… As well as the delicious confectionery in which we can emphasize papaviejos (eggs, milk, flour, salt, sugar, olive oil and cinnamon), ajuelas (a mold with flower shape, eggs, milk, water, flour, olive oil and salt), almendrados (a sweet made with almonds, flour, honey or sugar) and hornazos (cake made with a batter of eggs and butter).
The oil is an important element in its gastronomy and culture, as well as the craftsmanship products like wicker, esparto or wood.
The town is part from the production area of the Extra Virgin Olive Oil.
This oil is marketed with the quality label: Guarantee of Origin “Sierra Mágina”.
How to get there
From Sevilla, Córdoba and Madrid: you have to take the Motorway A-4 until Jaén and the exit Úbeda/Baeza/Mancha Real.
From Málaga: take the Motorway A-45 and A-92 to get Granada and from there take the Motorway A-44 until the exit Úbeda/Baeza/Mancha Real, that we can find before arriving the jiennense capital.
Then take the Motorway A-316 and follow until the turn-off towards Mancha Real. Once in this town you have to follow the signs to Torres, taking the JV 3242. This picturesque road will take you across olive grove plantations. You have to cross the town following the direction towards Albánchez and you get after de 3 kilometres to the hotel Puerto Mágina.
Jaén 37 km
Úbeda 53 km
Jimena 15 km
Bedmar 23 km
Albánchez 11 km
Mancha Real 12 km