Utrera is one of the most important cities of the province, for its wealth, its past and its heritage.
It is located to 35 km from the capital, in a landscape modified by human action and dedicated to agriculture.
Even before you get Utrera surprised the excellence of its settlement and manor houses, churches and convents. Among the most prominent monuments we have to emphasize The Castle, the Parish Church of Santiago el Mayor, the parish of Santa María de la Mesa, the Sanctuary of La Consolata, the Convent of La Purísima Concepción, Casa de Arias Saavedra, Casa Riarola or El Niño Perdido.
In its municipal area we can observe the Nature Reserve of the Complejo Endorréico de Utrera, formed by the small lakes Alcaparrosa Arjona and Zarracatín, and of great importance because of its swamp vegetation and birdlife.
Historically, the first exact notice about the city dates from 1253, when Alfonso X carries out the division of the lands, considering it as a modest farmhouse guarded by a castle. This will not pass permanently into Christian hands until the Battle of Salado in 1340. However, the archaeological remains bear witness to a deep past, traced to the Chalcolithic (III millennium BC).
However, the Roman civilization turns out to be the most visible, represented by a large legacy that includes major cities such as Salpensa or Siarum. Both towns had a large projection planning and also minted their own coins.
In fact, some people based on the Latin root of Utrera clearly has no objection to granting a Roman origin of the current population, identifying it with Utraria-factory of Odres. However, Corominas thinks that the name derives from Vultuaria- high land, alluding to the terrain in which it is located.
From the Visigoth age we can observe burial remains of Christian eschatology that change the sign after the Muslim invasion. During this time, it seems that the city was only a small arcade with a tower of protection. Then, day after day the who populated people Utrera were able to encircle the village walls and transform the tower into a Castle.
During the centuries XVI and XVII, Utrera experienced a great economic boom, which reached its summit with Felipe II, because in 1570 it was the first town in the prosperous kingdom of Seville.But the effects of the bubonic plague of 1649, which left the population decimated and because of the bad policy of the Habsburg minor, radically changed thescenario.
The hope for the XVIII century with the illustrated reforms was frustrated. The Independence War aggravated the difficult situation, which has a new impetus with Cuadra family, with whom the old town begins to feel Villa, a claim that fails until the reign of Alfonso XII in 1877.
However, until the civil war of 1936, Utrera sees the agitations of an agrarian society with strong social tensions.
The civil war left a trail of suffering and shattered families. Nowadays, Utrera is a typical example of median population, with more than 46,000 people working to improve their lot, putting eyes on a hopeful future.
Monuments in Utrera
Antiguo Cuartel de Caballería
Chapel of la Santísima Trinidad
Los Dolores Parish Church
San Bartolomé Chapel
San Francisco Parish Church
Nuestra Señora del Carmen Chapel
Casa de Cultura
Convent of La Purísima Concepción
Fountain de los Ocho Caños
Hospital of La Santa Resurrección
Monument to Las Fabricantas
Monument of Don Clemente de la Cuadra
Monument Hnos Alvarez Quintero
Parish Church of Santa María de la Mesa
Parish Church of Santiago el Mayor
Plaza del Altozano
Sanctuary de Ntra. Sra. de Consolación
Municipal Theatre Enrique de la Cuadra
Torres de Molino
Arch of the Village
Enrique de la Cuadra Square
Aceitunas. Potaje (chickpeas, condiments of snails). Caldereta. Cola de toro.
Sweets: Mostachones. Bizcochos de coco. Tortitas de Canarias. Tortas de aceite. Brazo gitano.
How to get there
From Sevilla by the National Highway N 630 towards Extremadura, we have to pass Pajanosas, before arriving at La Venta del Alto and take the detour to Las Nieves, also signposted to Portugal, where it connects with Highway N433, pass by Arroyo de la Plata, and head towards the Castle of the Guards via highway A476, cross it and continue towards Minas del Castillo, La Aulaga, by the C 421 will pass the village of Juan Anton, to 9 kilometres we will find Madroño.
From Huelva through Zalamea, Nerva and out of that town, it is indicated the road to El Madroño, to approximately 10 kilometres.
From Portugal from Vila Nova de San Bento, towards Cortegana by the road N 433 towards Jabugo, to join with the N 435 road that will lead us to the town of Tralasierra, once past this, we have to turn left down the road A 461 towards El Campillo and Nerva, here is indicated the road to El Madroño, located approximately to 10 kilometres.
Distances from Utrera
Sevilla 35 km
El Coronil 20 km
Montellano 32 km
Dos Hermanas 20 km
Alcalá de Guadaira 21 km
Morón de la Frontera 36 km