Valverde del Camino
Valverde del Camino
Valverde del Camino is located at a crossroads. Its location in the foothills of the mountains of Rite and Leon, was one that all travellers had to pass through, and the origins of the place date back to the moment, at an unknown date, when a farmstead or a venta were constructed to serve as a tavern and lodging for travellers and merchants. The venta, or inn, called Facanías, apparently has a name of Hebrew or Arabic origin. In 1369, with the founding act of the county of Niebla, the site of Facanías was founded. In the late fifteenth century, Facanías became Valverde del Camino, probably referring to the Roman Road passing the foot of the village.
In the late fifteenth century, and as a result of the granting of land rights (expansion of the Dehesa Boyal), the strengthening population reached 100 people in 1503. In 1591 there were already 291 inhabitants. The population growth gave rise to the first streets, of irregular shape and on steep slopes, conforming to the relief of the hills that protected the original “venta”: Martin Sanchez, Gabatón de Orin (now Las Cruces), Luis Fernandez (now Old Town) and Santa Ana.
In the early eighteenth century, the village of Valverde del Camino still depended on the town of Niebla, both politically and legally, and economically. In 1732 the village became independent of Niebla and was granted the title of town by King Felipe V, with the approval of Niebla and owner and master of the County, the Duke of Medina Sidonia.
Valverde del Camino Monuments
Historical and Artistic Heritage Site
Religious Heritage Site
Parish Church of Ntra. Sra. Del Reposo
The construction of this building startes in the second half of the sixteenth century, ending in the early decades of the next century. The Church was named for St Mary and came under the patronage of Our Lady of Rest, and has since that time been the parish church of the town.
Altarpiece from the seventeenth century
In 1630 the Flemish painter Paul Legot, based in Seville, was contracted to make the altarpiece for the altar, although there is no certainty that he carried the work out. The current altarpiece, made of plaster, corresponds to the years 1640-1650.
The temple originally consisted of two naves in a Latin cross, although in the middle of the eighteenth century it came to have three naves supported on pillars with empty vaults.
This type of construction is included in all baroque churches made in the towns of the archdiocese of Seville during the eighteenth century.
Ermita de Santa Ana
Situated at the end of Calle Santa Ana, it is the first religious building to be built in Valverde. Its construction dates from the early sixteenth century and has been linked to Dona Ana, wife of Don Alfonso de Guzman (seventh Duke of Medina Sidonia), who was very devoted to the views of the Saint of her name. This ancient temple disappeared with the passage of time, and in its place now stands a small, but beautiful chapel.
Ermita de la Trinidad
Built in the first third of the eighteenth century, its construction was carried out on the outskirts of town because of leperosy. Although some improvements have been necessary to preserve it, it maintains its full, original structure.
Ermita del Santo
Inspired by Sevillana Baroque architecture of the eighteenth century, this baroque temple was built recently (1953-1960).
It has a rectangular floor in the shape of a Latin cross, with a “medio naranja” cupula. It occupies the site of a former chapel of San Sebastian, built in the early eighteenth century.
Old Railway Station
The first building constructed by the British in 1868, it is located near the company headquarters of Alcali.
House No 12 of el Cabecillo de Martin Sanchez, built in 1876. This is a Victorian style house, which although it has a modern facade, it has a large number of decorative elements inside, such as a beautiful gate, beautiful marble staircase, and fireplaces.
Headquarters of the organization “The United Alkali Company Limited”
Built between 1906 and 1907. It is a two storey building with austere architecture, but no decorative elements, highlighting the wood and glazed brick fireplaces on the inside, and the marquee outside.
Located just out of Valverde in the direction of Zalamea, this is the most representative building of the English architecture of Valverde. It is a grand mansion built in 1912 by the Society, for the residence of the Alkali General Manager.
It has barred windows, balconies with windows in three parts, gazebos, and a stately interior. The building is surrounded by a large garden area with Flanders pine, palm trees and orchards, all protected by a stone wall.
The Plaza de Toros (Bullring)
The Plaza de Toros of Valverde del Camino is both beautiful and old, and has the capacity to accomodate 3,000 spectators. The bullfighting tradition in this town dates back to the mid eighteenth century, when the fights were carried out in small wooden bullrings. Its construction dates from the mid-nineteenth century. It is now used for grappling bulls and steers during the “feria” in the town, and sometimes during other “fiestas”, or celebrations.
Casa Dirección Museum. Ethnographic Museum with important references to the craft and industry of Valverde del Camino.
Mineralogical Museum contains, amongst other things, fossils, species, minerals and pieces of archaeological interest.
Valverde del Camino Gastronomy
Spit-roasted beef, stew, bean stew with gurumelos (mushrooms), roasted gurumelos, habas enzapatá, salmorejo de bogas, gurumelos scrambled with green beans, pickled peppers, scrambled eggs, roscos, rosas, orejas, pestiños, piñonate, abuelas, buñuelos.
The main link for travellers arriving in Valverde from Badajoz, Portugal, Huelva and Seville is the N-435 highway that runs north-south through the province, linking to the A49 highway in San Juan del Puerto. Visitors arriving from Sevilla have the opportunity to take an alternative route, leaving the A49 motorway and taking the A493 to the heights of La Palma del Condado, then travelling the remaining 29.5 km. to Valverde.
Distances from Valverde del Camino
Beas 19 km
Sevilla 83 km
Huelva 44 km
Calañas 17 km
La Florida 8 km
Trigueros 25 km
Navahermosa 12 km
Zalamea la Real 19 km
Almonaster la Real 57 km