Andalucia Rustica

Search More

Monuments in Cádiz

Vejer de la Frontera – Ancient Convent of Our Lady of the Conception

Monuments in Cádiz

Ancient Convent of Our Lady of The Conception

The Ancient Convent of Our Lady of The Conception is located between the Castle and the Divino Salvador Parish Church, a couple of minutes from the Closed Door and the viewpoint where the statue of the Cobijada is located, in the Andalusian town of Vejer de la Frontera.

Ancient Convent of Our Lady of The Conception
Reinaissance style (16th Century)
Founded by Juan de Amaya the Elder (1552)

The Ancient Convent of Our Lady of The Conception was ordered bo be built by D. Juan de Amaya the Elder and his wife Doña Beatriz de Villavicencio, for hes own burial, in 1552. Initially it was dedicate to Franciscan friars of the Observance.

Shortly before the death of the founder, after certain differences between him and the friars, the convent is abandoned by the primitive Franciscan community.

vejer-de-la-frontera-iglesia-del-convento-de-la-concepcion-portada

In 1584, after after the death of the founder, it was agreed that the convent should be occupied by conception nuns, Franciscan religious alike, although it was decided that it should be submitted to the jurisdiction of the ordinary. Towards 1618 appear the first faults in the wall of the presbytery of the building as a consecuence of the push of the vault of the greater chapel by a fault in the foundation of the wall, on the city wall. The local earthquake of 1773 causes serious damage to the church: the vault of the main chapel is cracked and the wall of the Gospel is cracked and threatened with ruin. Four arches are built in the Jewish Quarte to support the wall and the vault of the main chapel.

The conceptionist convent was closed in 1835. By the law of the confiscation the building was sold in the 1870s. In 1930 the half-domed vault collapsed due to the danger of collapse, as well as the steeple that gave the C/ Ramon y Cajal. The building purchased by Dª Pastora Castrillón at this time has been donated to the town of Vejer by Dª Luisa Castrillón Ortega, in 1996.

It is used since its donation and restoration as Municipal Center of cultural activities (conference room, concerts, exhibitions, etc.).


0 comentarios

Leave A Comment