Andalucia Rustica

Search More

Villages in Almeria

Vera

Villages in Almeria

Vera – Levante Almeriense

Vera is situated in the region of Almeria, very near the coast and from where extends most of the municipality. Much of the history of the area has been preserved, alongside more modern  urban development. It has a number of buildings and landmarks such as City Hall, the Historical Museum, the Church of the Incarnation, (built like a fortress to protect  against pirate invasions,) large impressive houses and farms built in times of economic boom.

Nowadays, the most important industry, though not always ‘beach orientated,’ is tourism, and there is a profusion of first class facilities and infrastructure.

The municipality of Vera limit with Cuevas del Almanzora, Garrucha, Mojácar, Turre y Los Gallardos and with Antas.

Vera throughout history has been home to many. Human communities have settled in or near it, and found the right site according to their material needs (near a river), strategic (on a hill) or commercial (with a crossroads.)

Vera’s land has been inhabited since ancient times. Within its boundaries are material remains from the Neolithic period, about six thousand years ago, through the Bronze Age, with cultures as varied as the European archaeological landscape, such as Los Millares and El Argar, who began to exploit the rich mineral and iron deposits in the region. The Carthaginians continued mining and founded the city of Bari in the VIth century, near Villaricos.

The Roman occupation has left us ample evidence of their people and villas, as found around Roceipón, near the shrine of the Virgen de Las Huertas.

In the Middle Ages, the town of Vera, because of the mining crisis and insecurity of a frontier land, retreated into settlements on a hill (Mount of the Holy Spirit). During the times of Muslim occupation, in the fifteenth century, there were several skirmishes with the Christians of Lorca.

The strategic location of the lands of Vera in the kingdom of Granada, led to Fernando the Catholic, in the spring of 1488, to enter the region to monitor progress in the Kingdom. No serious attempts at resistance were met with, and the mayor of Vera, Malique Alabez, delivered the city to King Ferdinand on June 10, 1488. The Christian army made their headquarters near Vera (in Real) but there was still a certain loyalty to the Moors by the local people.

Vera was annexed by the Crown, became a royal city, and in 1494, the Catholic Monarchs granted the rights and privileges of City to Vera.

On November 9, 1518, an extremely violent earthquake completely devastated the city on the Hill of the Holy Spirit, the area being left so desolate that a new city was built on a plain close to the site of the first. The new town was built with squares, enclosed with mud walls manned by eight towers with battlements and embrasures and with only two outside doors, for safety against attack. In the centre was built the parish church that served as a fortress for the defense of the inhabitants.

The XVI and XVII centuries were difficult times for Vera. The uprisings of the Moors and Berber incursions caused insecurity and hardship in the region until the expulsion of the Moors.

Attempts at modernization and progress during the eighteenth century  resulted in Vera creating of the Friends of the Country (only the second to be created in Andalusia and the fourth in Spain), which sought to promote popular industry, especially Esparto manufacturing.

The discovery of lead-silver lode in Sierra Almagrera and serious mining activity in the vicinity lead to a very strong economic growth throughout the region, accompanied by a large increase in the population.  Buoyant mining was accompanied by a significant agricultural development, this being the area where orange groves were first introduced.
The mining crisis and the decline of traditional agriculture caused a decrease in the population until the 70s, when the tourist industry began to develop the area for relaxation, due to the year round mild climate.

Vera Monuments

Victoria Convent

Church of the Incarnation, the sixteenth century.
Church-fortress flanked by towers and walls. The interior is Gothic-Mudejar style, and contains a baroque altarpiece.

San Agustin Church, sixteenth century.
Part of the convent built in 1521 by Emperor Charles V.

Ermita de Nuestra Senora de las Huertas,  nineteenth century. (convent)

City Hall, XVI and XVII centuries. Renovated in the eighteenth century.

Archaeological Sites

Mount of the Holy Spirit.
Vera ancient settlement .

Andalusian old wall and cistern.

Cerro Torre. (tower)

Roman remains.
(In the vicinity of the shrine of Nuestra Senora de las Huertas.)

Town planning

Plaza Mayor, the sixteenth century.
Fountainof the four channels.

Vera Bullring

Museums
Juan Museum Square.
Ethnographic and archaeological.

Vera Gastronomy

In this land, good food is enjoyed by all layers of society. Vera is a pioneer in the world of restoration, research and development of traditional local dishes.
Typical dishes: “Avio Cakes”, “Gurullos with Rabbit”, “Garlic Colorao”, “Local meat Stews “, ” Wheat migas.”
Pastry: “Hornazo (egg bun typical of the area),” ” Wine and Anise Roscos, “Pastas floras”, “Fingers of Jesus” (long thin cakes,) “Greaves Cakes,”

Crafts

One of the peculiarities of the craft around Vera is a type of pottery vessel originating in this area. This is the case of the “pitcher of four peaks”, which has a globular body, which ends in four lobes. A variety of this vessel, which is also manufactured in Vera, is called “jug trap, which is equipped with four false spouts and five peaks in the mouth. The name “jug trap” comes from the fact that any attempt to drink at any of the spouts, causes water to spill from the mouth making it impossible to drink. Legend says the five peaks are an immitation of the five-sided tower has the Church-Fortress, which is unique.

Directions

From Seville
Departure from Seville on the N-IVb
Join the A-92
Join the A-92N
Join  N-342
Join  N-340 (Exit 83: Puerto Lumbreras)
Take N-340a (Exit 534: Vera)
Arrive at Vera.
From Granada:
Depart  Granada on the local road
Join the N-323
Join the A-92
Join the A-92N
Join the N-340 (Exit 83: Puerto Lumbreras)
Take N-340a (Exit 534: Vera)
Arrive at Vera.
From Madrid
Depart from Madrid on the local road
Join the M-30 (Address A-3)
Join the A-3
Join the A-31 (Exit 177: La Roda, Albacete)
Join the A-30 (Exit 253: Murcia N-301)
Join the N-301 (Exit 388: Murcia, Cartagena)
Join the N-340 (Exit 391: Almería , Granada)
Take N-340a (Exit 534: Antas Garrucha Vera)
Arrive at Vera.

Distances from Vera

Bedar 18 km
Antas 7.5km
Turre 17km
Alfaix 16 km
Almería 85 km
Mojácar 16 km
Garrucha 9.5 km
Palomares 11 km
Puerto Rey 7.5 km
Los Castaños 24 km


Un comentario

  1. jm schipper escribio:

    It would be very helpful adding the adresses to the various monuments en other sites to visit.

Leave A Comment