Viator – Area Metropolitana de Almería
Viator is a district that stretches from the foothills of the Sierra Alhamilla to the left bank of the river Andarax, in the region of Almeria. The land is mostly rough and hilly, except on the banks of the river, and is suitable for citrus farming, and vegetables, grapes and cereals.
The economic base of Viator from Muslim times, as in other parts of the river, consisted of irrigated agriculture.
When the Catholic Kings conquered Almería in 1489 “the farm of Viator” was a collection of estates and gardens found throughout the valley, irregular in shape and size and alignment, mostly close to both sides of the Irrigation channel and near the road. Since then the area remained as a suburb of Almería, from the sixteenth century with a population at the time of 155 inhabitants, all Moors.
The municipality was separated from Almería by royal decree on December 17, 1835. However, the actual separation did not take place until the end of the century after a long dispute with the city of Almería by a judgement handed down on November 20, 1875 by the Court of Granada, which absolved from Viator of all suits filed, and recognized the right of Viator to its own municipal area.
In the second half of the nineteenth century there was a rapid increase in population. The population doubled to over 2000 in 1900, At the same time, the area experienced an economic boom with the introduction of the vine, and became an important area for the export of grapes. Their main sources of livelihood were linked to the primary sector, cottage industries processing agricultural products, small livestock farms with cattle, sheep and goats and the exploitation of their forests for hunting, firewood and esparto grass.
From 1870 to 1890 mining fever, widespread in the province, extended to Viator, several lead ore mines were opened in the Sierra Alhamilla and the mine San Felipe de la Sociedad “La Tertulia” was run as a co-operative likewise Los Compadres in Huebro.
The early twentieth century, marked in Almería by the demographic and economic crisis consequent to the mining and export of grapes, did not affect significantly Viator. Even with strong migration from 1901 to 1972 especially to Barcelona, France and Germany, the population continued to grow slightly. Soon after, the Viator area began to prepare troops for the defense of African enclaves especially in the area of Melilla, following the bloody events of the Barranco del Lobo and Gurugú (1909) in the Moroccan Rif, the Viator area having been chosen, given its proximity to the African coast.
Today Viator and its main annex, The Juaida, show an extraordinary development. Agriculture, always their economic base of production, continues to be very important to the area.
Parish Church Our Lady of Sorrows, the eighteenth century.
Ermita de la Virgen del Carmen. (convent)
Sausages. Alpujarreña fries.”Choto cabañil” prepared with garlic. Stew of turnips with pork liver. Tabirnas (potato stew with red peppers, onions and garlic).
Sweets: Roscos de Semana Santa (served atEaster). Soplillos (egg and almond.) Honey muffins. Donuts.
Exit Almería. Continue on Rambla de Belén. At the roundabout, take exit 1 Continue along: E-15 / A-7 direction: E-15 – N-340 – Murcia – Ronda de Almería – A-92 – Granada. Pass near Huércal de Almería. Take the exit towards: Exit 453 – Viator – Pass Military Base – Guadix – Granada. At the roundabout, take exit 1 Continue: ALP-110 heading to Viator – A-1000 – North Almería. Enter the town.
Gádor 12 km
Pechina 3.5 km
Benahadux 7 km
Huércal Almeria 12 km
Alhama de Almería 19 km