Villa del Río
Villa del Río, Alto Guadalquivir Region
Villa del Río sits in the eastern part of the province of Cordoba, just on the border with the province of Jaen in a spacious plain on the left bank of the River Guadalquivir. The municipality limits with Montoro, Bujalance, Lopera and Marmolejo.
It is 50 km from the capital by the autovia de Andalucia and is at an altitude of 168 metres above sea level.
Its population is 7,296 inhabitants, in a municipal area of 21.7 km2. with a population density of 333 inhabitants per square kilometre.
Under the jurisdiction of the comarca (region) de Alto Guadalquivir, this town enjoys a privileged situation, since it is situated halfway between the mountains and lower countryside of the province of Cordoba.
There have been several names by which this population centre has been known. The current name comes from Philip IV, who gave the name which has remained until today: Villa del Rio.
These lands were part of the cora of Cordoba during the Muslim rule.
In the mid-fifteenth century, due to civil war between Henry IV and the Infante Don Alfonso, this was precisely when the town was split between the conseco (council) of Cordoba and came under the Lordship of Fernan Perez de Montemayor, brother of M. de Montemayor and Alcaudete in 1469.
Villa del Río Monuments
Former parish of St. Peter, the sixteenth century, with tower, now the Ayuntamiento (town hall).
Parish of the Immaculate Conception, 1907.
Chapel of San Roque or Jesus of Nazareth.
Chapel of Virgen de la Estrella, Baroque (XVIII century).
Image of the Virgen de la Estrella, a work of Juan Martinez Cerrillo.
Custodia de la Parroquia de la Inmaculada Concepcion, Baroque, eighteenth century, by Damian de Castro.
Las Moraíllas, Iberian ceramics.
Cortijos of Canaveral and Veguilla, Roman settlements.
Bridge over Salado de Porcuna, possibly a Roman work.
Old medieval castle tower and remains of paintings.
Old Windmills or water mills driven by the Guadalquivir.
Plaza of the Constitution.
Garden of Lirio.
Huerta del Solo.
Traditional Cross of the Mocitos.
Stately Homes, XVII, XVIII and XIX.centuries.
Museums. — Museo de Pintura.
Villa del Río Gastronomy
Maimonides or vegetable soup, of Arab origin, prepared with oil, bread, onion, cinnamon, milk and sugar. Preparation is as follows: in the hot oil fry thinly sliced bread, remove the bread and in the same oil, fry onion cascos, once marinated in the oil return the bread, stir in whole milk, sugar and cinnamon to taste, and boil. This dish is usually taken in winter as dessert, but also a very suitable food for those who are unwell.
A dessert of this region at any time of year is creamed walnuts, which consists of full cream milk, a bowl of crushed nuts and a medium sized bowl of sugar. The milk is heated with the walnuts and sugar, heated until thickened, and poured into bowls and allowed to cool before serving.
On the eve of festivals the usual elaborate”gachas dulces” is prepared, a specialty of this region. Sauté in olive oil mild fennel flower and lemon peels, add flour, sometimes with milk or with water. Finally, mix in nuts and serve with honey.
Another traditional dish is Villa del Rio azarillo, a very particular type of appetizer, made from a mixture of chopped red peppers with garlic, cod strips and eggs diced together. Also casseroles, such as tasty lamb casserole, where the sauce is prepared with onion, bay leaf, thyme and paprika; everything is simmered and the lamb chops are added to a large saucepan, to which is added chopped liver.
Out of Córdoba. Continue to: E-5 / A-4. Pass near San Antonio. Take the exit towards: Exit 368 – Pedro Abad – Adamuz . Follow signs to Pedro Abad .Pass Pedro Abad and follow signs to Villa del Rio.
Distances from Villa del Río
Córdoba 50 km
Morente 21 km
Bujalance 16 km
El Carpio 26 km
Pedro Abad 17 km
Cañete Torres 15 km