Villalba del Alcor
Villalba del Alcor
Villalba del Alcor is a village belonging to the Comarca del Condado and situated in the east of the province of Huelva, with a landscape of grain farmland, vineyards and olive trees.
The oldest archaeological remains in Villalba date from the Late Bronze Age, four thousand years ago. Mining was already established in the Huelva basin at this time, and its wake came to the village. For this reason many Roman remains can be found in and around the area. It is said that small Roman villages of great importance can be found in the outskirts of the village. Among the discoveries was the bust of Agrippina, wife of the Emperor Claudius, which was found several kilometres from the city centre.
Later stages were not very important, indeed Villalba was not established as a major settlement until the arrival of the Arabs. Muslims inhabited the area until the Christian conquest. They rewarded people with a powerful construction in the form of the parish church of St. Bartolome, originally a fortified mosque, which was enlarged during the Mudejar period, and later by the Christians in the fifteenth century.
Villalba evolved as a core of conflicts that kept small Muslim states and Christian missions in the Kingdom of Niebla. Thus, the development of Villalba del Alcor was linked to Niebla, but not to the subsequent County.
With the creation of the powerful county of Niebla in 1369, Villalba del Alcor remained only 11 years under the jurisdiction of the Guzmans, and was never to return to this domain. In 1380 Villalba was jurisdictionally ascribed a new lord, Alvar Perez de Guzman, who was from Palos, and did not belong to the Guzmans of Niebla.
This branch became extinct in the fourteenth century, as there were no heirs, and they were succeeded by the Zuniga family, one of whom married an heir of Alvar. One of their descendants, Diego López de Zúñiga, inherited the lordship of Villalba, forming it into part of the County of Miranda. The estate remained as such until the abolition of the feudal system in the nineteenth century.
From the late Middle Ages, Villalba del Alcor consolidated. Classified as a town, it was a small centralized manor, between two powerful neighbors: the county and Seville. The town was included in the sixteenth century in the relation of Andalusian cities by Pedro de Medina. This time also saw the construction of the monastery of the Carmelite friars, and convent of the Carmelite nuns; both congregations were central to the religious development of this town, enduring even in the convent of San Juan Bautista.
Monuments in Villalba del Alcor
Church of San Bartolomé.
Portada de la Misericordia.
Shrine of Santa Agueda.
Tombstone of Marco Calpurnio in the Parish Church
Mudejar, Gothic and Baroque houses.
Villalba del Alcor Gastronomy
Tostón with sardines. Boar in marinade.
Leave Huelva and head towards San Juan del Puerto. Continue past Niebla and Villarrasa. Follow signs to La Palma del Condado. Continue along the A-472 until you reach Villalba del Alcor.
Leave Seville and head towards Castilleja de la Cuesta. In Castilleja de la Cuesta, at the roundabout, take exit 3 and continue on the A-8076 in the direction of A-472 – Gines – Huelva. Pass through Ginés – Espartinas and Sanlucar la Mayor. Continue along the A-472. Pass through Castilleja del Campo and Manzanilla. Continue until you come to Villalba del Alcor.
Distances from Villalba del Alcor
Beas 34 km
Sevilla 46 km
Huelva 48 km
Bonares 24 km
Almonte 25 km
Trigueros 39 km
Rociana del Condado 21 km
La Palma del Condado 7,5 km
Bollullos Par del Condado 15 km