Villaluenga del Rosario
Villaluenga del Rosario
Villaluenga del Rosario is a village located to the west of the province of Cádiz, in a valley between the Sierra de Libar and the Castle, in a rugged and mountainous terrain. This municipality is included within the so-called Ruta de los Pueblos Blancos.
Villaluenga del Rosario, close to 1,000 metres above sea level, is the highest village in the province of Cadiz. The municipality is located in the heart of the Natural Park of Sierra de Grazalema, situated in the northwest of the province of Cadiz and in which the annual rainfall is the highest in the Iberian Peninsula. Its steep streets, with whitewashed houses and undulating roofs can be covered in snow in winter.
It is believed that the name “Villaluenga” comes from the long and narrow shape of the village centre, and that the rest of the name “del Rosario” was added later, in the 18th century because of the deep-rooted devotion of its inhabitants to the Virgen del Rosario.
The lands which the municipality occupies nowadays were occupied by the Muslims from 716, five years after the invasion from Africa, until 1485. In that year, Rodrigo Ponce de León, Marquis of Cadiz and Duke of Arcos de la Frontera, incorporated them into the Christian crown. In recogintion for this, the Catholic Monarchs bestowed him with the lordship of the Serranía de Villaluenga, and the locality became the capital city of the Siete Villas (Seven Villages).
Walking around its streets we come across diferent buildings which have an important historical and aesthetic value. Amongst the civil buildings the town hall of Villaluenga and the bullring stand out, the latter built on a group of rocks that originally existed on the site. In the interior of this original bullring, dating from 1640 and which is not completely round but polygonal, we can visit the Museo Taurino (Bullfighting Museum). The old church of El Salvador, erected in the18th century, and presently used as a cemetery, and the church of San Miguel, dating from the beinning of the 16th century are two of the most important buildings in the village. Furthermore, Villaluenga has two chapels: San Gregorio and El Calvario, both from the 18th century.
Other points of interest are the Museo de la Literatura (Literature Museum), on Calle Real, and the Museo del Queso (The Cheese Museum) in La Albarra Park.
To enyoy a panoramic view of Villaluenga del Rosario, the best place is the viewpoint of Cancho Castillo.
Monuments in Villaluenga del Rosario
Church of San Miguél
Church of El Salvador – Cemetery
Qanat de Villaluenga del Rosario
Fountain of Agua Nueva
Hermitage of San Gregorio
Hermitage El Calvario
The craftsmanship of the Villaluenga del Rosario out for the cork, palm, esparto and looms.
Gastronomy of Villaluenga del Rosario
In the municipality of Rosario del Villaluenga it is typical Villaluenga Soup, Tomato Soup, Green Asparagus Soup, Roast Lamb and Goat, Rabbit Almond, Partridge Turkey Sauce and Pavo de campo.
We also can mention its typical and famous handcrafted Goat and Sheep Cheese. Tortas de Manteca, Tortas de Chicharrones, Piñonate, Requesón de Cabra and Oveja con Miel de Villaluenga, Meloja, Pan Moreno, Jamón Serrano, Chorizo and Caña de Lomo.
Ubrique 13 km
Ronda 35 km
Cádiz 117 km
Sevilla 134 km
Jerez de la Frontera 85 km
More information about Villaluenga del Rosario here.