Villages in Sevilla
Villamanrique de la Condesa
Villamanrique de la Condesa
The municipality of Villamanrique de la Condesa is located on the south-western boundary of the province of Sevilla. It borders on the north with the town of Pilas, in the east to with Aznalcázar and the western borders with the province of Huelva through the town of Hinojos.
The original nucleus corresponds to the area where is located the Town Hall and the church, with small and irregular blocks. Subsequent developments have led to the north and especially to the south, with larger and elongated blocks. Villamanrique nowadays presents a quite compact but elongated morphology from north to south.
It is communicated to the north with Pilas through the highway SE-631, and to the southwest by the lane leading to the village of El Rocío. Villamanrique has a ring road that surrounds both the east and the west.
It was known since Tartessian age as Mures, whose name would live on the Iberian-Turdetani, Roman and Arabic periods.
The first human settlements date, by the archaeological remains found, from the Chalcolithic and the early Bronze Age. We have to mention an arrowhead from the 4000 AC. and a Tartessian trail dated between 624 and 550 BC.
During the Phoenician rule it was established a factory for the extraction of purple dye. It also passed through their lands Turdetani and Romans.
In Al-Andalus period it had to be very crowded because it had several quarters.
The Christian conquest was done by Alfonso X and delivered to the Master of the Order of Santiago in 1253. At the end of the XIV century the villages of Chillas and Gatos joined. Later, in the year 1539 it would pass to the Duke of Béjar.
With the creation of the Marquis of Villamanrique by Felipe II it was renamed Villamanrique de Zúñiga.
In the XVIII century the villa was bought by the dukes of Montpensier.
By Royal Decree, in 1916, it would pass to its current name in honour of Doña Isabel Francisca de Orleans y Borbón, Countess de Paris.
Villamanrique de la Condesa Monuments
Church of Nuestra Señora de la Magdalena
Palace of Villamanrique
Hill of El Chillar
Villamanrique de la Condesa Gastronomy
Caldereta (venison, garlic, onion, thyme, wine, cinnamon). Tostón con sardinas y ajo. Snails. Cabrillas. Salmorejos rocieros. Beef stew.
Sweets: Roscos. Buñuelos. Rosas. Hojuelas. Torrijas. Tortas. Pestiños.
How to get there
You have to exit Sevilla. In the area around Camas, take: E-1 / A-49 towards: Camas – Huelva – A-49. Pass near Camas and Ginés. Take the exit towards: Exit 4 / 3 – Castilleja de la Cuesta – Gines – Bormujos. In Castilleja de la Cuesta, take: A-474 towards: Bormujos. Then cross Aznalcázar and take: A-474, then the A-3123. Alleyway of Pilas and then you get Villamanrique de la Condesa.
Distances from Villamanrique de la Condesa
Sevilla 37 km
Benacazón 19 km
Aznalcázar 11 km
Coria del Río 33 km
La Puebla del Río 33 km
Bollullos de la Mitación 22 km
Search in Villages
Alquiler de coches en Málaga
- Código ANR23 - 5% Descuento
- Reserva sin tarjeta de crédito
- Servicio de alquler de coches 24/7
- Traslado gratuito aeropuerto ⇄ oficina
- Pago al llegar
- Vehículos nuevos
- Sin extras ocultos
- Ofertas exclusivas en mostrador