Villanueva del Trabuco
Villanueva del Trabuco
Villanueva del Trabuco is a malagueño municipality situated in the Comarca (region) of Antequera. Access to this locality can be made from the autovia, from Malaga or Antequera as it is only 3.6km distant. Being so well connected with these cities, in recent years many families have taken up permanent residence here because of the mild temperatures throughout the year.
The municipality of Villanueva del Trabuco is watered by the rivers Guadalhorce and el Higueral, on whose banks there are several hiking trails. In the village, we can find places of great beauty such as the Barrio de los Villares, the oldest and most typical area of the village. It is characterized by its steep streets and the whitewashed facades of the houses, filled with perfectly potted flowers that brighten a walk through the village. In the centre is the Plaza del Prado, the hub of commercial and social life of the village because it houses the main services of the people. In this square, in addition, you can find the Fuente de los Tres Caños, some of the best water in the province that flows always, even in times of drought.
The village is 690 metres above sea level, is 45 kilometres from Malaga and 34 from Antequera. The average rainfall in the area is 800 l/m2 and the average temperature is around 14 º C
The town is not the oldest settlement in the province, although there is evidence that the municipality has been inhabited since ancient times. As in neighbouring municipalities, man has been here since prehistoric times, as evidenced by the archaeological sites found in the village, but after the Roman period and later the presence of the Visigoths, the area shows signs of significant human presence.
Apparently, in the year 1487 King Ferdinand out left Antequera with his troops for the conquest of Vélez-Málaga, splitting his forces into two fronts, one of which, commanded by the king himself, chose the path passing through la Fuente de la Lana, the other front, led by the Marquis of Cadiz, passed directly through Trabuco.
According to legend, there was a venta (inn) at a crossroads near the village, whose owner, to provide himself with supplies, set off for Archidona. On his travels he was assaulted on the roads and the goods were stolen, so he decided to buy a “trabuco” or blunderbuss (gun), from which he was never separated, day or night, hence, when he went to Archidona it was said ” here comes the guy with the “trabuco”, a possible origin of the name of this municipality.
Like most villages which have the head of the judicial party in Archidona, it was in the seventeenth century when the population centres actually appeared. The foundation of these villages, among which is Villanueva del Trabuco, was headed by the desire to repopulate the region by Carlos III, due to their suitability for agriculture, but in those days there were many types of pests and vermin, such as foxes, which destroyed the game and the crops. Also another reason the repopulation was not working was the distance from other inhabited areas.
Advised by his ministers, Carlos III decided to bring in foreign settlers. Six thousand German and Flemish Catholic settlers arrived, who after occupying areas of the Sierra Morena went to other places in Andalusia, including areas in the Malaga area with the name of Villanueva.
In 1845 the council requested of Archidona the separation of the village from the town of Archidona, but this did not happen until 1850.
The local economy was and still is predominantly based on agriculture and livestock production.
It should be noted that after going through stages in which the population has declined considerably, Villanueva del Trabuco is at a stage of demographic recovery, having been ranked the fastest growing municipality in the region between 1,900 and 1,980.
Ermita de la Virgen del Pilar (chapel)
Ermita de la Virgen del Puente (chapel)
Ermita de San Antonio (chapel)
Ermita de San Isidro Labrador (chapel)
Ermita de San Juan y de la Virgen del Carmen (chapel)
Iglesia de Ntra Sra de los Dolores (Church of Our Lady of Sorrows)
Fuente de los Cien Caños
Path Mountains of San Jorge
Gastronomy of Villanueva del Trabuco
* Porra caliente
* Ajo blanco
* Guisillo de San Jose
* Potaje de Semana Santa (served at Easter)
* Roasted Mushrooms
Pastry: quince compote, fritters, donuts and others.
Starting from the city of Málaga, from any point on the Costa del Sol, go to the Autovia Mediterraneo (A-7 or N-340), and take the A-45 (N-331) towards Antequera / Granada.
Arriving at Puerto de las Pedrizas continue in the right lane towards Granada (at this point there is a fork whose left branch leads to Antequera) and onto the A-359. After about two kilometres you will see the first sign for Villanueva del Rosario – Villanueva del Trabuco by the A-6119. At four kilometers from the entrance is a second access to both villages. If you continue along the A-359 towards Granada, before reaching Salinas Station there are two entrances, very well marked, to Villanueva del Trabuco, the first of them by the A.6202, and the second on the A -6119.
Distances from Villanueva del Trabuco
Málaga 51 km
Casabermeja 28 km
Riogordo 34 km
Granada 84 km