We are quite sure of the existente of several Christian settlements, Duch as Pereila, Porticate and Junquera itself, befote the arrival of the Berbera, who settled in this land in the VIII century A.D. and made it dependen ton the Kora or province of Takurunna, the capital of which was Ronda.
Yunquera appears in texts dealing with the Christian conquest as one of the towns that capitulated after the surrender of Ronda in 1485. After the Christian conquest, Muslims and Mudejars were allowed to stay both here and in Monda, Guaro, Casarabonela, Tolox, Ojén and Istán. Yunquera, however, now depended on the jurisdiction of Málaga.
There are practically no remains left of Yunquera Castle; neither are there written sources that provide much news. The first chronicles mention that the Catholic Monarchs ordered it to be repaired after the conquest and that, soon after, in 1498, they ordered its destruction, together with the castles at El Burgo, Monda and Tolox, as they were no longer necessary for the defence of the area. We do know that it had been built in the highest part of the present town, while the related estate covered the hillside. The wall ran along the present Seminarista Duarte Street and probably had a gate at one end, which opened on to the so-called Tolox Road. There was a drawbridge gate, the Jandaque Gate, next to the gully (Jandaq in Arabian).