Zurgena – Almanzora Valley
Zurgena is located in the lower basin of El Almanzora, between rich citrus orchards and fruit trees irrigated by the river, and divided into two parts by the same river. Its special topography provides a special and little uniform but with neat and clean appearance. Above all the group we have to emphasize the Parish Church.
The town is divided by the Almanzora River, on whose left bank is the Alfoquía or neighbourhood of La Estación, and on the right we can observe the ancient population, located on a hill. The river irrigates its municipal area, turning this area into a real orchard of fruit trees, mostly citrus. In addition to the waters of the Almanzora, Zurgena has the Ramblas del Agua, Las Cobaticas, Agua Arriba and the well of Calderón, Seco and Tío Segura. The cultivations of Zurgena were 350 fanegas (0,66 hectares) of wooded irrigation land, 500 of dry land and 1.500 olive trees, and there were bred 100 ounces of silk seed. Zurgena has some metallurgical and construction industries and an important marble manufacturing industry, which is extracted from quarries in the municipality.
In this town, apart from the centre of population, there are some farmhouses called: Alfoquía, Almajalejo, Cañales, Carasoles, Cucador, Llanos, Los Mencaones and Palacés, as well as the farmhouses that are named Fuente del Pino and Lomas del Ganado. We have not many data about the history of this town, due to the loss of the book called “Libro de Apeo y Población”.
The few medieval place names we know we are provided by the Censo de Ensenada: Cabaña de Dacebucar, Pagos de Calafa, Hamarche, Thamarchete and Alfoquía and the village of Almajalejo. This last one is still hamlet; the Alfoquía has become into the largest population centre and most modern of the municipal area. Cucador and Palacés are two other surviving place names. From the ecclesiastical point of view, Zurguena remained annexed to Huércal-Overa until 1525. In that year Zurgena was erected as a parish. The church was built during the pontificate of the Bishop Antonio Corrionero.
Church of La Asunción. Mudejar style.
Chapel of Jesús Nazareno.
Cave of El Llano de las Eras.
Remains from the Argárico.
Sausages. Pumpkin Soup. Wheat porridge. Soup cod cakes. Aletría fish broth. Rabit gurullos. Corn Balls. Partridge stew. Choto in Garlic.
Sweets: Alfajores de almendras. Empanadillas rellenas. Cuajao de almendras.
How to get there
You have to exit Almería, take the road to Granada and cross Huércal de Almería. Go straight on. Take the national road N-340 towards: Huércal de Almería – Almería – E-15 – N-340 – Nijar – Murcia. At the roundabout, take the salida 1 and continue along: A-92A towards: A-92 – Benahadux – Guadix. Alleyway Benahadux. At the roundabout, take the salida 3 and continue along: A-92 towards: Guadix – Granada. Take the exit towards: Salida 376 – N-340a – Tabernas – Sorbas. At roundabout, take the salida 2 and continue: N-340A towards: Sorbas – Tabernas. Pass near Tabernas. Turn left: A-1100 and Camino Viejo de Almería. Cross Uleila del Campo. Pass near El Pilar and you get Zurgena.
Distances from Zurgena
Albox 12 km
Antas 20 km
Lubrín 19 km
Almería 91 km
Cantoria 21 km
Albánchez 29 km
Olula del Río 28 km
Huércal Overa 14 km
Cuevas del Almanzora 21 km
Search in Villages
Alquiler de coches en Málaga
- Código ANR23 - 5% Descuento
- Reserva sin tarjeta de crédito
- Servicio de alquler de coches 24/7
- Traslado gratuito aeropuerto ⇄ oficina
- Pago al llegar
- Vehículos nuevos
- Sin extras ocultos
- Ofertas exclusivas en mostrador